Do "clothes make the man" or woman?

Sky Sweet

The purpose of this thread is not to discuss adhering to a dress code, which has been discussed many times before, because that topic was more about following rules than being fashionable. With that in mind, is your opinion about a fellow cruiser influenced by the way they dress?

Yes, I have to say it is. I'm not saying the clothes have to necessarily be expensive or designer, but a well-groomed person who takes the time to look good makes a much better impression on me. And personal hygiene is a big one. Someone who is well groomed and nicely dressed is much more appealing than one who is not. I also think accessorizing shows one cares about how they look.

Yes when I see a guy walking around in a "Wife Beater" and jean shorts with a Budweiser and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth I don't think much of him. LOL

On the other hand same guy in a nice silk shirt with a pair of khakis and sandals with a foo-foo drink I may talk to him.

I would be more inclined to think positively of someone well groomed and clothed decently, regardless of the "dress code adherance" than of someone who is sloppy, unkempt and/or in ill-fitting attire. :)

I'm sort of ashamed to say, yes it does. I don't think much of people judging others from their cloths. I know fine folks that wear work cloths every day and some not so fine folks that wear expensive suits every day. Can't judge a book by it's cover. In the case of cruising (and a few other areas) I'll make an exception. We all need to step up to par, if not ourselves, then out of respect for our fellow cruise mates and the overall cruise experience

I am in a cruise not to judge whether someone is fine or not. In other circumstances, I do not consider important the way people is dressed, as in a barbeque, for instance.

A cruise, was (maybe, sitill it is) a perfomance and in a perfomance, as in the theater, clothes are important.

It is not the same to see an opera were actors and actress are properly dressed that one all dressed on black or...

I agree with all the above posters. If you presumably have enough money to be on a cruise - I assume you can afford personal grooming items & clean, well kept clothing. Note: I did not say expensive clothing! It is surprising what is nice looking, and available at discount stores, large chains, and farther down the scale - at thrift shops, etc. (although certain wearables should not be purchased used!)

If I wanted too, I'm sure that with less than $100, and an afternoon's worth of time, and access to 3-5 thrift stores & chain stores, I could completely outfit someone for a cruise, in any major city in North America.

My impression of people is not influenced by "dress" at all. I live in San Jose California and I've worked with lots of relaxed work dress companies and some of the most intelligent people I know are fashion nightmares. I'm not impressed by loftiness at all any more and I pretty much just try to see people as people.

I think it's good for people to have good hygene and to otherwise be clean, but I couldn't care less what clothes they are wearing, or not wearing on a cruise especially.

That said, I very much enjoy the formal nights. There are few, if any, places in our area where one can get dressed up for dinner and not feel "odd" because everyone else is not dressed up. I'm too old to use the "we're going to the prom" excuse. So, I love the fact that cruises allow us to get dressed up without feeling odd about it. I don't care if others feel less inclined to dress formally, so long as they are the ones that are considered odd :)

My impression of people is not influenced by "dress" at all. I live in San Jose California and I've worked with lots of relaxed work dress companies and some of the most intelligent people I know are fashion nightmares. I'm not impressed by loftiness at all any more and I pretty much just try to see people as people.

I was thinking something very similar. I work for the largest bio/pharma in the world and support the R&D function (Scientists, PhD and M.D.). These are some of the most brilliant scientists in the world and you wouldn't believe how they dress. It is truly a disaster! It would be a shame for someone to judge them on that and IMO a bit narrow minded considering the contribution these people make to the world.

However they do have commonsense and while they would be a fashion nightmare they wouldn't show up in jeans....

Good grooming and a bit of care about how one dresses makes a difference in my book. I agree with the people who say it's not about having the up-to-the-second style or the most expensive brands or fabrics. It's about taking a few minutes to make sure one is clean and neat and a bit festive.

My daywear for cruises usually comes from stores like Old Navy and Target. I go on a cruise once a year, and right before the cruise is when I buy the summer T-shirts etc. that I will wear until the next year. So, when I go on the cruise, I've got a stack of clean, unfaded, unstained $9 T-shirts to wear. I'll pick up some fresh $3 flip-flops, rather than the ones left over from the year before that have foot stains on them and little nicks and chunks taken out of the foam from use. It doesn't take much, especially if you plan your wardrobe carefully to maximize reuse so as to minimize packing weight, to pack for a cruise and not look like you're about to go work in the garage or garden. (And heck, if you are comfortable in work pants, then wear them -- just bring a pair that aren't ripped or stained.)

That said, I've never seen anyone on a cruise look that unkempt. I like the fact that most people go an extra step to wear cute and colorful or otherwise festive outfits when they cruise.

Which reminds me -- it's getting to be that time of year for my annual Old Navy/Target run. I've got a cruise coming up in May!

Oh, and as for the laid-back Silicon Valley dress standards...that holds true to a point. My husband is the CTO of his company and for years wore faded old jeans and freebie T-shirts from different conferences, companies, and trade shows. Last fall one of his mentors came to me and told me that he's got to start dressing better. So I stepped him up to newer jeans, comfortable leather shoes rather than sneakers, dockers, T-shirts without corporate logos on them, and shirts with actual buttons and collars. The response was super-positive. He even dresses better on his days off than he used to. My point here is that it doesn't take much in Silicon Valley to make a difference, just as it doesn't take that much on a cruise ship either.

I was thinking something very similar. I work for the largest bio/pharma in the world and support the R&D function (Scientists, PhD and M.D.). These are some of the most brilliant scientists in the world and you wouldn't believe how they dress. It is truly a disaster! It would be a shame for someone to judge them on that and IMO a bit narrow minded considering the contribution these people make to the world.

However they do have commonsense and while they would be a fashion nightmare they wouldn't show up in jeans....

Yeah they should take a page out of Dr. Baltars book. (From Battlestar Galactica)

Well i have to admit I like the rough and rugged look for a man,minus the cigarette i definently would talk to him as long as he smelled nice,the beer is even ok with me.Now I'm not saying he should wear this to dinner by no means but by the pool,excursions etc..he could stand in front of me any time.

I too hate to admit, but yes, my first impression of someone often is appearance. I do not mean thin or fat, nor do I mean using good dress sense at to matching colors, styles, etc. Many either don't have a clue or really don't care. I am referring to t shirts at dinner, torn or stained clothes, fat gals (like me) wearing clothes that do not fit, either too tight or too big.

When I refer to not caring how they dress, this doesn't mean to be disrespectful to others or oneself by wearing totally unappropriate clothes for the occassion. I know, as someone so kindly said on another thread today I am the most opinionated person he knows (slightly exagerated by the way) but I still have strong feelings about subjects like this. I don't mind seeing the young girls and women wearing their almost no clothes, they look cute but please gals when the waist disappeared with the last baby or the chest and waist are all together maybe it's time to say good bye to little bakini and guys when your belly that used to store that daily quart of milk your mom said was good for you and now the belly stores the daily quart of beer, it is time for you to think about what you are wearing. Lecture for the day!!! NMNita

I get up in the morning..shave, shower...put on clean clothes, go make sales calls. Why bother shave, shower, etc if we follow the "Touchy-feely" garbage of "don't judge others"...because my clients JUDGE me! AND I respect them and I have self respect!

"Ooooh, don't judge your fellow man" Garbage!

We all do it, all day long!

Don't tell me that if you are walking on a street and a BIG guy wearing a motorcyle jacket, jeans and a helmet, swinging a motorcyle chain over his head is walking towards you, that you don't consider moving to the other side of the street!

Or, do you keep walking towards him saying to yourself "Oh, I better not judge him"

Garbage!

People judge other people! It may be wrong, but it is human nature.

I get up in the morning..shave, shower...put on clean clothes, go make sales calls. Why bother shave, shower, etc if we follow the "Touchy-feely" garbage of "don't judge others"...because my clients JUDGE me! AND I respect them and I have self respect!

"Ooooh, don't judge your fellow man" Garbage!

We all do it, all day long!

Don't tell me that if you are walking on a street and a BIG guy wearing a motorcyle jacket, jeans and a helmet, swinging a motorcyle chain over his head is walking towards you, that you don't consider moving to the other side of the street!

Or, do you keep walking towards him saying to yourself "Oh, I better not judge him"

Garbage!

People judge other people! It may be wrong, but it is human nature.

Jim - You really must learn to form an opinion!... (just joking of course).

A better dressed person makes a better first impression. After that, it's his/her demeaner and spoken word.

On our last cruise, I was shocked to see senior citizens (men) with tatoos, earrings in their ears, and long hair. I had never seen this before. My first impression was OMG!!! But after speaking with one in particular, I thought of him as a "normal" person!!

I am as guilty as the next one of my preconceived ideas...but that is where a cruise situation, with 2000 people, many of whom are from totally different walks of life....is a real eye-opener.

Like I was taught many years ago about job interviews; 90% of first impressions are grooming, manners and dress and that first impression sticks for a very long time.

That applies to more than job interviews.

Like I was taught many years ago about job interviews; 90% of first impressions are grooming, manners and dress and that first impression sticks for a very long time.

That applies to more than job interviews.

I agree. As they say, you never get a second chance to make a good first impression :)

I agree. As they say, you never get a second chance to make a good first impression :)

OK, I can understand this for something like a job interview where there is some possible future involved and perhaps hiring the right people would affect the company's living and all, but what possible reason do we have on cruises for forming "first impressions" about people? I'm not sure I understand the correlation. I may be missing something, but I figure "who cares!". I'm sure if we spent our week looking for the weaknesses in others we could find something wrong with everyone else and everyone else something wrong with us. What do we gain from that on a cruise?

I figure unless someone is doing something to physically harm me (like smoking in my face) I have no reason to care about what they are doing or wearing.

Of course, if they wear something really ugly I wouldn't want them in my pictures :rolleyes: ...

Tom

I think it's good for people to have good hygene and to otherwise be clean, but I couldn't care less what clothes they are wearing, or not wearing on a cruise especially.

That said, I very much enjoy the formal nights. There are few, if any, places in our area where one can get dressed up for dinner and not feel "odd" because everyone else is not dressed up. I'm too old to use the "we're going to the prom" excuse. So, I love the fact that cruises allow us to get dressed up without feeling odd about it. I don't care if others feel less inclined to dress formally, so long as they are the ones that are considered odd :)

Good Reply

In todays world every day we do not take that extra step when we go to the picture show or out to dinner or even get on an airplane

on a Cruise this trip is special and it is fun to put on a coat and tie or tux and a splash of after shave

like some one said you will be surprised what you can find at Wal Mart ect.

It even feal good to put on something new

Stur Dayton,Ohio

Archived