Anyone know the ins and outs of cruising from the UK as a full-time electric wheelchair user?

northernlights3

Evening all,

I have posted this over on the disabled cruise forum as well, but someone suggested I may have more luck here.

I am not new to cruising, however I have not cruised in an electric wheelchair before, only a manual. I am looking to go on a Fred Olsen cruise in 2025/2026 (Doing my research early to avoid any problems). The one we are looking at specifically departs from and ends in Newcastle, UK.

However we seem to have come across an issue that says if your wheelchair is over 25kg, which mine is, and it can't be dismantled, then you can't get on and off the ship. We are waiting to hear back from Fred Olsen, but they've said it could be months before we get an answer and now they aren't even sure if we can get on and off at Newcastle because it's a tidal port and doesn't have an air terminal.

Has anyone else cruised from the UK (preferably with specific knowledge of Newcastle itself) who is a full time electric wheelchair user (I have no mobility at all outside of my wheelchair). Could anyone give me any clarity on this situation? Or even from Southampton on another cruiseline so we could look at other options if Newcastle doesn't work out.

I don't want to book a cruise and then have to cancel it, but also don't want to miss out on an opportunity to go if I can. This is a bit of a bucket list item for me, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

On 9/1/2023 at 6:41 PM, northernlights3 said:

(preferably with specific knowledge of Newcastle itself)

It may also be worth your while posting your question on the British Isles Ports of Call forum which may attract responses from non-Brits who have docked ta Newcastle. 

On a more general point, I'd be entirely with Lemorvan. Seemingly appalling customer service from Olson. 

On 9/1/2023 at 6:41 PM, northernlights3 said:

Newcastle because it's a tidal port and doesn't have an air terminal.

Newcastle certainly has an international air terminal!

Did you mean to write air bridge?