Great Barrier Reef Luminosa January 7, 2024

• 1 month later...

I am also booked on this cruise and coming from the USA.  I am traveling as a solo since my husband passed in July.  This will be the first trip I have taken as a single so I am a bit nervous.  I am arriving in Brisbane a day early to try to acclimate... hope it works.  My excursions: Ocean Rafting, Skyrail Village and Train, and then GREAT BARRIER REEF snorkling... it is also on my bucket list.  Here is hoping for a wonder cruise.  Then I am going over to New Zealand for 12 weeks (Gate 1) land tour.  Keep in touch and we can have a drink together!

Would love to have a drink with you!! I haven't figured out the excursions yet- Im thinking snorkeling in Port Douglas- not sure which is better. We are leaving US 1/3- Newark NJ to Vancouver then Vancouver to Brisbane- we are a day and a half early- where are you staying? Many have told me South Bank is a good area to stay- Im still working on that...Fingers crossed the weather holds in the US snow wise...New Zealand is soooo cool!!

I am arriving in Brisbane at 9:55am January 6th.  I am staying in downtown: Royal Albert Hotel.  I wanted to see a little of Brisbane prior to the cruise.  I debated staying close to the pier, but decided to stay downtown.  The Royal Albert is about a 10 minute; 4-5 block walk from the central train station.  Also, I will be leaving Brisbane for NZ at 11:10am on the day we disembark...so no time to see the city at all... hope I can get off and to the airport in time!  Yikes. 

I am from Austin, Texas so no problem with snow here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/13/2023 at 10:42 AM, BucketListKimmy said:

I am getting really excited- We are from Connecticut- we will definitely have to connect!

I probably shouldn't do this, but I am booked in room 7391.  I am also signed up for the steakhouse on the first night..Jan 7..... since I am a single, I am hoping to meet a couple of people I can connect with at the dinner.... join me if you would like.  Otherwise, lets meet for a cocktail either before or after.  I am assuming that there will be phones in the room.  

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up for the Steak House restaurant on day 1.  I figured since I am a single/solo I will meet at least a couple of friendly faces at the dinner that I might see later on the cruise.  This is going to be great!!  I have read that the ship itself is not remarkable, but that is not why I am going.  I am going for the adventure!!  Really hope to meet up!!

Went to review my excursions and was surprised to see that "SKYRAIL, KURANDA VILLAGE AND SCENIC TRAIN" in Cairnes, had been deleted from my cruise!!  It is no longer offered. I was able to re-sign up for basically the same with the deletion of the "train" part.  When I went to pay for the replacement, I had a credit...which covered the replacement excursion.  Glad I looked... I would have been very surprised if I hadn't.  I suppose it has something to do with timing.

On 12/29/2023 at 8:00 PM, BucketListKimmy said:

I am excited and scared all at the same time- I have never done something this epic-20 hr flight, totally foreign land, so far from home- Im double and triple checking what I have packed..Getting super excited!!

I fly out today!!  See you on the ship on Sunday!!

Hi cruisers. I’m going on this cruise Feb 4th. A few questions for those that completed it:

- what nights were elegant nights

- is the coffee free? I heard you had to pay for coffee.

- how was snorkeling in the great barrrier reef? Do they have stinger for those of us in the larger side?

-how was the drinking water on board?

any feedback would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

- what nights were elegant nights

If I remember right it was on Monday and Thursday. You will see a mix of very nicely dressed to Aussies on Vacation. 

- is the coffee free? I heard you had to pay for coffee.

Buffet coffee is free but they have coffee bar on Deck 3 and at the Serenity Bar on 9 that is excellent.

- how was snorkeling in the great barrrier reef? Do they have stinger for those of us in the larger side?

I Scuba dived at the reef from Cairns and Port Douglas and both times they had 3X stinger suits included in the Excursion price. The 3x is the largest but they are lycra and stretch nicely, both in height and width.

-how was the drinking water on board?

Fine, They have filtered water machines at the buffet