I have read every post regarding trip insurance and every of Steve Dasseos' posts. The bottom line for me is the importance of using an experienced insurance agent such as Steve when buying trip insurance. When I read this board I am still humbled by the complexity of this product and the need for guidance. Two examples will suffice.

We have been cruising since 1998. Around 13 years ago before I even knew there were agents that sell this product, we bought a policy from the cruise line. One of our adult children was injured playing a sport. He ended up needing to come home for surgery.  There was no one to help us navigate the rough waters of trip cancellation insurance. We were on our own and lost all of the money we spent on the trip.

During a trip in the Summer of 2022 we came down with COVID in Prague. We had a policy from Trip Insurance Store and filed a claim. The medical was paid.  Coming home we missed three flights and ended up being put up in a hotel. The airline never paid for the voucher they gave us for a hotel they sent us to. Assuming I would be paid, I never filed insurance for the hotel. I never dreamed an airline would stiff me! A year passed. The airline never reimbursed us and the credit card would not remove the charge as the hotel did provide a room and it was not their fault the airline did not pay for the voucher. I was annoyed. I finally mentioned being out the money to Steve who advised me to reopen the claim. It never dawned on me this could be done. We received a notice our claim was accepted and will be paid.

The price of the policy is the same whether or not an agent is involved.  yet I have found that having a knowledgeable and experienced agent to turn to can be the difference between being paid and losing money.

6 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

I have read every post regarding trip insurance and every of Steve Dasseos' posts. The bottom line for me is the importance of using an experienced insurance agent such as Steve when buying trip insurance. When I read this board I am still humbled by the complexity of this product and the need for guidance. Two examples will suffice.

We have been cruising since 1998. Around 13 years ago before I even knew there were agents that sell this product, we bought a policy from the cruise line. One of our adult children was injured playing a sport. He ended up needing to come home for surgery.  There was no one to help us navigate the rough waters of trip cancellation insurance. We were on our own and lost all of the money we spent on the trip.

During a trip in the Summer of 2022 we came down with COVID in Prague. We had a policy from Trip Insurance Store and filed a claim. The medical was paid.  Coming home we missed three flights and ended up being put up in a hotel. The airline never paid for the voucher they gave us for a hotel they sent us to. Assuming I would be paid, I never filed insurance for the hotel. I never dreamed an airline would stiff me! A year passed. The airline never reimbursed us and the credit card would not remove the charge as the hotel did provide a room and it was not their fault the airline did not pay for the voucher. I was annoyed. I finally mentioned being out the money to Steve who advised me to reopen the claim. It never dawned on me this could be done. We received a notice our claim was accepted and will be paid.

The price of the policy is the same whether or not an agent is involved.  yet I have found that having a knowledgeable and experienced agent to turn to can be the difference between being paid and losing money.

Hi rbslos18,

Thank you for your kind words. I was happy to help you with that claim.

Steve Dasseos

On 9/3/2023 at 1:01 PM, Nancy&Frank said:

@rbslos18 I have been using Steve for years.  He is undoubtedly the best in the business.  So glad you will be able to recoup some of your $$$.

We have also used Steve for some time. The insurance board is full of horror stories connected to policies the cruise company or travel agencies sell but do not service.