Embarkation Time in New York

VAWCB

We will be on the September 18 Vista cruise from New York to Montreal.  Since we checked in on-line a week after first being able, the earliest embarkation time available was 1:30.   If we arrive at the pier at noon, is it likely that we will sit in the terminal for over an hour, or is arrival time flexible?  Thanks for any thoughts (other than “you should have checked in earlier”😀).

1 minute ago, VAWCB said:

We will be on the September 18 Vista cruise from New York to Montreal.  Since we checked in on-line a week after first being able, the earliest embarkation time available was 1:30.   If we arrive at the pier at noon, is it likely that we will sit in the terminal for over an hour, or is arrival time flexible?  Thanks for any thoughts (other than “you should have checked in earlier”😀).

Generally you should be able to check in for the cruise without a long wait but there are some cruise terminals that will not allow you into the terminal until your stated boarding time.  Hopefully someone who has recently boarded in NYC will answer on the terminal policy.

1 hour ago, Jim and Monika said:

Something to keep in mind that we learned from experience. I'm not even sure why O has check in and boarding times. The order of getting on the ship is based on cabin level, and check in time has nothing to do with it.

I've never experienced this procedure in 2021-2023. Is this at the NY terminal only? In Miami. LA. and Seattle I've been able to check in near my time anywhere from 11-noon with little to no wait in LA and Seattle (we were still doing Covid-related-extras in Miami Dec 2021).

• Like 1

We haven't boarded all that often in NYC but didn't had a problem with boarding times.  Then again, we are usually in a suite (and we live here) so perhaps our experience is irrelevant to most passengers

A number of years ago we were boarding in Barcelona and we encountered a couple we'd met online. They were told to wait to board, they were in a lower level cabin -- I think we were in a PH. So not being very bright I just told them to join us going up and so they did ... It worked out fine.  We had a nice lunch together in Terrace.

But I shouldn't suggest that others do what I did in my ignorance ... It may well have been that there weren't crowds trying to board at that time. It's very possible that this was regarding the "non-Libya" cruise back in November 2005 when there were many complications ...

Mura

The later times for this cruise may also be due to crew having to do 2 turn around days in a row.   London to NY cruise ends on Sept. 17, then travel agents and others get to come onboard overnight as Vista makes her US debut and then on Sept. 18, passengers get back on for the NY to Montreal leg.   It’s a lot for the crew, bless their hard working hearts.  

• Like 1

We just disembarked Insignia yesterday.  Upon arrival at the terminal in NYC no one checked the arrival time.  When checkin began we were all called to board the ship and begin the check in procedures in the Insignia lounge on deck 5.  We were then directed to our appropriate carpet color, Gold, Silver, or Blue, based on cabin check in priority.  

I will note one thing regarding NYC check ins.  If there is an NCL ship in port that day with you you'll most likely share the same terminal/pier.  NCL on the north side, and Oceania on the south side.  After security the Oceania people were directed to a small side room where we waited until 11am for the formal check in procedures to start.  

An important thing regarding security at NYC if you are sharing the pier.  Don't just get in the first big line.  Remind the agent you are on "the small ship" and they will either direct you to an Oceania line or the NCL Haven line which is MUCH shorter than the line for the massive NCL ship.  

• Like 1