A Couple of quick questions

pirate cruiser

Hello again,

We are going on our first Med cruise next week (4 of us ) on Oosterdam-are the stateroom walls magnetic ? I bought some wall hangers after seeing this tip on CC-also we will be ending the cruise in Trieste and overnight there-we were disappointed to see how far from Venice it is and wondered if it's worth trying to go there since we don't arrive until 1PM-any suggestions are welcome-thanks again !

18 minutes ago, pirate cruiser said:

Hello again,

We are going on our first Med cruise next week (4 of us ) on Oosterdam-are the stateroom walls magnetic ? I bought some wall hangers after seeing this tip on CC-also we will be ending the cruise in Trieste and overnight there-we were disappointed to see how far from Venice it is and wondered if it's worth trying to go there since we don't arrive until 1PM-any suggestions are welcome-thanks again !

The cruise ship cabins are all modular units that are fully constructed offsite and then installed onboard. They all have bulkheads comprising sheet metal, most of which is ferromagnetic.

Whether you cabin bulkheads will hold magnets may depend on location and the strength of your magnets. Cabins adjacent to a transverse fire bulkhead will have better success due to the proximity of the thicker steel bulkhead.

In addition to magnets, we also bring 3M Command strips.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pirate cruiser said:

we will be ending the cruise in Trieste and overnight there-we were disappointed to see how far from Venice it is and wondered if it's worth trying to go there since we don't arrive until 1PM-any suggestions are welcome-thanks again !

It's a 2 hour train ride from Trieste to Venice. You'd probably spend more time using transportation than actually exploring Venice.

If it were me, I would spend the day in Trieste. As often happens in the Mediterranean, people leave the port city and flock to the cities and sites most often mentioned in tourist guides. Sometimes, it is practical and worthwhile (i.e. going from Civitavecchia to Rome). Other times, you are missing out on a great place right under your nose (i.e. staying in Malaga instead of going to Granada). Because your vacation time is valuable, stick with Trieste and enjoy all your can on your final day. If you really want to see Venice, then you have the perfect excuse for planning another trip. 😊

• Like 1

Ceilings are magnetic (so far) so we can hang some things from a magnet with a hook on it. Plus using "rare earth" magnets are super strong. We also hang things from the bathroom ceiling with rare earth hook magnets - toiletry bag, etc. Hang things to dry in front of the ceiling ventilation outlet.

We have had good luck with 3M Command hooks on the walls. DH has had good luck using rare earth button magnets for hanging maps - even on the mirror??? (Did I remember this correctly?)

Enjoy Trieste -it is truly an undiscovered gem. Perhaps I am biased because I have quite a few family members that live there - but it is my favourite city (other than Cortina) in Italy.

Hopefully you will be docked in the city centre and not the industrial pier. If you are docked in the centre, get off and explore, you are right across the street from Piazza Unita d’Italia - the largest piazza in Italy. Have a Spritz Aperol, an espresso, or vino Friulano from the exceptional wineries in the hinterland. You will be able to experience the true Italy, and not the Disneyland version - and tourist trap - that is Venice.

• Like 1