Yokohama debarkation - How early should I book a flight home from Haneda?

CruiseMelissa

I've experienced the debarkation process many times in US and European ports and have gotten good at estimating a reasonable flight departure time for debarkation based on distance to airport and ship arrival time.

I'm wondering if there is anything to keep in mind getting off the ship in Yokohama and going right to Haneda?  Google Maps shows it's a 20-40 minute drive.  Are there factors other than that and ship arrival time I need to know about when considering flight times?  Are Haneda security lines especially hectic?

It would be early on a Monday morning in August, if that helps.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, CruiseMelissa said:

Thanks.  Any insight on how long it takes to get through check-in and security at Haneda?

It is recommended to arrive at HND at least 2 hours before domestic flights and 3 hours before international flights, especially a full flight.

On 9/7/2023 at 5:13 PM, marwood said:

You should be able to get off the ship by 8am and be at the airport in about one hour.

Not true at all! I just disembarked in Yokohama a couple weeks ago and it took 20 min to get off the ship even though we were one of the first groups allowed to leave the ship at 8am (meaning we didn't get outside until almost 8:30am). Then, if you need a taxi, the line was almost exactly 1hr long (I can't imagine how long it was for people who got off later and had to stand in a longer line).

The taxi ride to Hanaeda airport is about 30min (pending traffic, which could, and probably will, double that time).

Or, if you take a train from Yokohama Train Station to Hanaeda airport, the train will take you an hour (not including the time for the taxi to get you to the train station).

For an international flight, you need to get to the airport a couple hours early, so factoring in a conservative time estimate of 1.5hrs to get off the ship, another hour by taxi or train, and another 2 hours early to the airport, I wouldn't book a flight out any sooner than 1pm, and even then I'd be a little nervous. I'd be more comfortable booking a 3pm or 4pm, just to be safe.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

On 9/8/2023 at 12:19 PM, monkey@cruise said:

It is recommended to arrive at HND at least 2 hours before domestic flights and 3 hours before international flights, especially a full flight.

On 9/9/2023 at 12:44 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

Not true at all! I just disembarked in Yokohama a couple weeks ago and it took 20 min to get off the ship even though we were one of the first groups allowed to leave the ship at 8am (meaning we didn't get outside until almost 8:30am). Then, if you need a taxi, the line was almost exactly 1hr long (I can't imagine how long it was for people who got off later and had to stand in a longer line).

The taxi ride to Hanaeda airport is about 30min (pending traffic, which could, and probably will, double that time).

Or, if you take a train from Yokohama Train Station to Hanaeda airport, the train will take you an hour (not including the time for the taxi to get you to the train station).

For an international flight, you need to get to the airport a couple hours early, so factoring in a conservative time estimate of 1.5hrs to get off the ship, another hour by taxi or train, and another 2 hours early to the airport, I wouldn't book a flight out any sooner than 1pm, and even then I'd be a little nervous. I'd be more comfortable booking a 3pm or 4pm, just to be safe.

Thank you, this is VERY helpful.  I hadn't heard that about taxis in Yokohoma upon disembarkation, reviews I've read made them seem plentiful.  Your description, however, shows possibly the worst case scenario which is very important to consider.  I really appreciate it!

Thank you, this is VERY helpful.  I hadn't heard that about taxis in Yokohoma upon disembarkation, reviews I've read made them seem plentiful.  Your description, however, shows possibly the worst case scenario which is very important to consider.  I really appreciate it!

Do be upset if waiting in line for hours during ship turnaround day. Japan taxis are small, if passengers carrying load of luggage....😡

They did seem pretty plentiful, it's just that everyone coming off the ship needs one, and people with a lot of luggage, or more than 3 or 4 people in their group needed more than 1 taxi. 

I was one of the first groups off the ship and the taxi line was still an hour long, despite a constant flow of taxis. It was a Saturday though, so maybe there are usually more taxis, but they were tied up that day. 

• Like 1