BOREALIS 22nd October - Liverpool to Spain/Portugal WHAT TO WEAR?

naughtypumpkin

We are first time cruisers and totally stumped as to what clothes to take on the Fred Olsen cruise leaving Liverpool on 22nd October calling at Lisbon, Malaga, Cadiz, La Corunna and Gibraltar. I would imagine its going to be cold for the first few days on the ship and then maybe a little warmer when we are in the ports? do we need jumpers on ship or is it warm enough for t shirts? At this rate I will be taking all my wardrobe " just in case" - help please from anyone who has done this route before - many thanks

Research should help with temperatures late October in your Ports of Call.

A quick look would be around 20 degrees give or take. So you dress for what you think is suitable for you.

As for on the Ship. Inside I would wear chinos and Pole Shirt and maybe a jumper. My wife would wear the lady equivalent 😂

On deck anybodies guess. You could be sunning yourselves or battening down the hatches with rain and wind.

As your not flying, with the weight limit, you can pack for every eventuality.

Have a great cruise.

On 9/8/2023 at 11:19 AM, naughtypumpkin said:

2nd October calling at Lisbon, Malaga, Cadiz, La Corunna and Gibraltar. I would imagine its going to be cold for the first few days on the ship and then maybe a little

we often go to spain and Portugal in the winter. Malaga Cadiz and Gibraltar will feel really warm like UK in summer (unless its raining). Lisbon is sheltered and south facing so if the sun is out it will be warm. ( we ve eaten outside in Lisbon in January). the Bay of biscay and La Corunna will be conditions known in our family as 'Cornwall at easter', ie have a jumper or jacket to take on and off as necessary and be ready for random rain showers. Take a woolly hat if you want to walk on deck in the Bay, its always windy.

I would just take loads of different clothes, one of the joys of cruising for us is being able to take lots of stuff and have someone else load it onto the ship. If you fall in love with cruising (as we did ) you ll have good ideas for your next one. enjoy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Layers are always good on a cruise. I was on a cruise last December to Northern Norway, and of course, all I was thinking about was how freezing cold it would be in port and didn't take enough short sleeved T shirts, as the ship was toasty warm. I find they tend to have the temp slightly on the warm side (but that may just be me!), but to suit where they are. 

As posters above said, always a good idea to have something warm for going out on deck especially in the evening as once the sun is gone it can feel a lot colder and breezy at sea. I am sure it won't be much extra packing as you'll want a jumper/coat for coming back to the UK in November!

In port a packable waterproof jacket is often a good idea, as it can be an extra layer if and when needed, I didn't need it at all in Lisbon, Malaga or Cadiz in November  but it all depends on the day and what you are doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1