Insurance question: has anyone used Emergency Assistance Plus for medical evacuation insurance?

cruiseej

I've seen number of people say that they use MedJet for medical evacuation and medical assistance services when traveling. It's not the regular and expensive trip cancellation or trip interruption insurance, just medical insurance for a modest annual fee. Global Rescue is another such service. I recently received a mailing from AAA offering what appears to be similar services from Emergency Assistance Plus. The AAA member price is $179 per year for family coverage. I'm wondering if anyone here has used or does use EA+ — or if you have a reason for preferring one of the other medical evacuation companies? Thanks!

Hopefully someone with knowledge will chime in on this.  We just booked an Antarctica cruise, and our TA tried to convince us to get insurance for the trip.  Other than our house, I never buy insurance unless legally required so declined the insurance which was complete/full coverage.

But I started doing a bit of research and can't find an answer if medical evacuation insurance is required by Seabourn for an Antarctica expedition.  If so, we just want to go with the cheapest coverage that meets the requirements.

11 hours ago, mwike said:

Hopefully someone with knowledge will chime in on this.  We just booked an Antarctica cruise, and our TA tried to convince us to get insurance for the trip.  Other than our house, I never buy insurance unless legally required so declined the insurance which was complete/full coverage.

But I started doing a bit of research and can't find an answer if medical evacuation insurance is required by Seabourn for an Antarctica expedition.  If so, we just want to go with the cheapest coverage that meets the requirements.

As a European, I could not find any insurance which would cover evacuation from Antartica. Seabourn insurance was just for people in the USA. 

I also assume the doctor on board is pretty expensive?

4 hours ago, Khareef said:

As a European, I could not find any insurance which would cover evacuation from Antartica. Seabourn insurance was just for people in the USA. 

I also assume the doctor on board is pretty expensive?

Thanks, I think this answers my question - not required.  We'll be self-insured.

We use 2 travel insurance companies CSA and Travelguard. Key reason they cover pre-existing conditions provided you pay for the policy within 24 hours of making final cruise payment. Most either don't cover pre-existing or require you buy the day you make deposit, not final payment. We would not travel without due to some medical issues plus since we are retired but only in our 50's private insurance won't cover you if you are out of the country (policies from employers if you are traveling WILL cover you). Thus if you break your leg while traveling, if you don't have travel insurance it will likely be on you. As for evacuation insurance, I wouldn't travel without as it is a $250K-500K taxi ride off the ship if you need it for not a lot of money. We're going to Antarctic shortly and our policy would cover that evac up to 500K as it doesn't limit it to where you are. Now could you get someone to get you there? that's the unknown.