Mercury passengers ill

Fblack

It would be interesting to know if crew members are also quarantined for the 48 hours.

The CDC told me (while on board the Veendam) that crew members are half as likely to fall victim to the virus because they usually come from environments where their immune systems have to combat a larger number of attacks. Passengers from ultra clean environments have immune systems that have not had sufficient challenges to build up a resistance to new attacks. All those sprays and disinfectants are counter productive.

On the March 17th cruise a number of crew we had met were quarantined at one point. The crew has frequent check ups and at any sign they are quarantined, regardless. After about 2 1/2 days we had our regular people back. They said they didn't get sick just had a low grade fever or or other minor symptom which turned out to be nothing.

It wasn't only the crew member with the symptom, but their roommates as well. That is why there was a shortage of crew.

This also happened in the spa where my massage guy was quarantined because his girlfriend threw up...They were both quarantined. Come to find out she wasn't sick...something she ate dissagreed with her.

So they do watch the crew. Besides where are they going to go? They are stuck on a ship, cannot fraternize with the passengers. Its not like an airline where you call in extra flight attendants....these people LIVE on the ship for 6 months at a time with no way to really get out.

Dave:eek:

also C2C...I have read that you are less likely to contract a GI illness if your blood type has a B , more likely with an A or O..American journal of medicine...just thought that was an interesting fact.

It would be interesting to know if crew members are also quarantined for the 48 hours.

The CDC told me (while on board the Veendam) that crew members are half as likely to fall victim to the virus because they usually come from environments where their immune systems have to combat a larger number of attacks. Passengers from ultra clean environments have immune systems that have not had sufficient challenges to build up a resistance to new attacks. All those sprays and disinfectants are counter productive.

I think this makes perfect sense. We are just not as immune as some of the crew.

The CDC seems to think that it's difficult to establish an immunity to norovirus:

Who gets norovirus infection?

Anyone can become infected with these viruses. There are many different strains of norovirus, which makes it difficult for a person’s body to develop long-lasting immunity. Therefore, norovirus illness can recur throughout a person’s lifetime. In addition, because of differences in genetic factors, some people are more likely to become infected and develop more severe illness than others.

The CDC seems to think that it's difficult to establish an immunity to norovirus:

Who gets norovirus infection?

Anyone can become infected with these viruses. There are many different strains of norovirus, which makes it difficult for a person’s body to develop long-lasting immunity. Therefore, norovirus illness can recur throughout a person’s lifetime. In addition, because of differences in genetic factors, some people are more likely to become infected and develop more severe illness than others.

They are absolutely right. In fact, something a lot like norovirus just hit my workplace; a quarter of workers (including me) got hit with gastroenteritis (I went to my doctor and got checked out, I was so sick). I think we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that it was the crew--anyone could have done this, and with reports of people not being honest about being ill and refusing to follow sanitation procedures, you can't quite pin the blame on any one group.

Back home and happy to be in our own bed! :)

We had learned that there were two cabins that each cruise before the 3/27 were subject to outbreak right off the bat, and special cleanings were performed before we boarded.

Our cabin steward took ill day 2 our ourt cruise and I suspect that is why so much attention to sanitizing took place with our cabin and I imagine the cabins of those who this steward was responsible for.

Although no new outbreaks, boarding was delayed again yesterday, we had a late flight out of SD and the transfer personnel who met the cruisers at the airport took the guests to the Sharaton again. Our flight left at about 6 and we could see the ship was still in port, but by today they should all be having a good time for the first sea day!

Best to them all! :)

I don't know what deck the two cabins were on....I did ask the second I met our steward if our cabin had any sick passengers and he indicated no. He took ill day two and came back after about 4 days. We spoke with him and his symptom was headache, which is one of the symptoms, but that was as far as it went, and from then on he was fine. Even with the masks and the gloves, he was in direct contact with the sanitization the cruise before and his system may not have contractecd Noro but was overwhelmend by constant contact with the formulas and the fumes, whiich I would not be suprised to hear. We were on Deck 10 in 1092, and were fine the entire time, I am happy to say!

Note that on a freind of mine's cruise getting back tommorrow from LA to Hawaii RT, there have been a few cases they have had to deal with....Tis the season.:(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived