Mercury passengers ill

Fblack

Mercury Illness as reported by another site. I am going on their April 17th cruise. I better stock up on the Imodium.

" On March 14, 2006, Celebrity Cruises reported that an elevated number of passengers and crew were experiencing symptoms consistent with acute gastroenteritis, mainly diarrhea and vomiting. On March 17, the ship’s medical staff indicated 13 of 840 (1.55%) crew and 185 of 1902 (9.73%) passengers had reported ill. The ship is on an 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise due to end in San Diego on March 17."

Oh boy, I am on her on the 27th. That's one cruise from today. Never had the noro and I sure don't want to get it either. Darn it. I thought it was a quiet winter, we normally sail this time of year, late March/early April and don't find it in my memory much in the spring...more in the deep winter months. Darn it again.

But Thanks for the head's up.

I was on both the Oosterdam and Sapphire Princess last year. They both had liquid hand sanitizer at all restaurants. Sapphire forced passengers to use them before you could enter the buffet.

I wonder if Celebrity is using them. I understand that if you get sick and see the doctor they then quarantine you to your cabin.

We were on Veendam and Zenith last year and they both had the Norwalk Virus on board. We did not get sick. The normal max is about 20% of the pax (add 10% for those not reporting)

Not only must you wash often but also

1. Don't touch the hand rails (be careful going down stairs though)

2. avoid elevators where other people might have touched stuff or might have gotton sick. (railings, sides)

3. use your feet to move chairs.. the part you touch to move is never cleaned.

4. be careful of salt/pepper shakers (on HAL these were replaced by packets.)

5. the Japanese have it right, don't shake hands.

6. in the Library HAL did not let guests touch books w/o wiping them.

7. practice not touching your face.... it's tough.

8. pax are more likely to get sick than crew because pax have lived in environmemts that are too clean... country folks are less likely to get sick because their environments have a more varied biosphere.. ie it's "dirtier."

Become paranoid... it'll keep you healthy. Remember 80% of you will probably not become infected. Stay away from the other 20%:eek:

8. pax are more likely to get sick than crew because pax have lived in environmemts that are too clean... country folks are less likely to get sick because their environments have a more varied biosphere.. ie it's "dirtier."

So does this mean if I rarely ever clean my house I have a good chance of not getting sick? ;)

I just think I found a good excuse for not doing the chores! Wooohooo! :D

A couple more precautions I thought of to add to C 2 C's list:

9. Use disinfectant on rails/handles of exercise equipment before use. Celebrity keeps spray bottle disinfectant in fitness center. Or use your own disinfectant (I carry Clorax and Purell wipes just in case).

10. Don't pull up bedspread and blanket to face when sleeping/resting.

11. Bring/use your own pillow protector (or bring own pillow).

12. Don't let cabin attendent put throw pillows next to/on top of your pillow.

13. Get plenty of rest/sleep before/during/after cruise.

14. Use straws for water/ice tea/soda drinks.

A couple more from my husband:

15. Bring/use saline solution to rinse nasal passages.

16. Bring other remedies, such as Echinacea, vitamins.

So does this mean if I rarely ever clean my house I have a good chance of not getting sick? ;)

I just think I found a good excuse for not doing the chores! Wooohooo! :D

Throw in a couple of pets and a milk cow to replace the lawn mower.

Frequent use of disinfectants lowers immunity potential... the body will not be ready.... and if you must... white wine cleans kitchen counters etc better than other disinfectants.... Drink enough and who cares:rolleyes:

Here is a link to a newspaper article by the San Diego Union Tribune, posted 3/18/2006.

200 report sickness on cruise to Mexico

According to the article 191 PAX and 14 crew reported getting sick.

Here is another useful link to the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program. It shows the full text of the "official" report to the CDC. This is a good link to bookmark if you want an authoritative source. It's also interesting to see all of the other ships listed in the past.

Updates of Gastrointestinal Illness Activity Aboard Cruise Ships

7. practice not touching your face.... it's tough.

Work in a daycare or a preschool for a while - see where those kids put their hands.....wiping their icky noses, in their mouths, pulling gunk out of their ears, in the glue and paint, sticky syrup on pancake days...you'll NEVER touch your face with you hands again.

If you sneeze or cough, do so into your upper sleeve, not your hand. Rub your eyes or scratch your face with a tissue, your lower sleeve or, if you must, with a knuckle but never, ever, not ever with your fingertips.

I was on Mercury last month with C2C and on Zenith just this week. The crew on Mercury were FAR (and I mean FAR) superior to keeping her clean than their counterparts on Zenith. Railings, elevators, floor were cleaned continously when we were on Mercury. I never saw any of this on Zenith (we were on deck 4 on Zenith and walked the stairs to go everywhere just as we did on Mercury). In fact, the bleach cleaning smell on Mercury was often overwhelming.

I'd almost guarantee that Mercury was oversanitized during the turnover in San Diego.

Think about what you are doing and chances are you will be fine....wash those hands often and follow the other suggestions listed (but don't go crazy, either....use common sense). This stuff happens at land-based resorts, convention hotels, etc. I think we just tend to worry about it more with cruising because it's reported as a matter of procedure.

Given the choice, I'd be on Mercury again in a heartbeat over Zenith!

We just returned from the 3/6-17 sailing of the Mercury.

Although it is correct that a large number of crew and passengers were infected with the Norovirus, the "official" numbers reported were low. According to a fellow passenger that was a nurse, her husband was treated in the ship's medical facility, and the number of people being treated that that point (with two sea days left in the cruise) was over 400. In addition, she reported that a staff member indicated that an "elevated" amount of passengers on the previous sailing also reported illness with symptoms of the norovirus.

At the beginning of the cruise, hand sanitizers were available at the various eating venues, but no insistence on the part of the staff to use them was being done. About two days into the cruise, each cabin received a notice from the Captain to practice hand sanitation due to an increase in reported gastro-intestinal problems.

At the same time, you were no longer allowed to get your own food at the buffet. About 7 days into the cruise, you were not allowed to get your own drinks either. Hand sanitizing became mandatory to be able to access food venues. Staff was using a very strong disinfectant all over the ship and were wearing masks while doing so.

At no point were there any announcements that the problem was rapidly increasing. However, by the continual increase in disinfecting measures, it was obvious.

Many passengers we spoke with did admit to having symptoms at various times during the cruise, but did not receive treatment, either because the medical facility was very overcrowded when the went, or fear of being quarantined in their rooms, which recoverd passengers reported was being done by the ship's medical personnel.

There were many people absent from the dining rooms. Staff members were told to keep quiet, but a few we spoke with said the problem was the worst they have seen.

Do you think Celebrity is not being completely forthright about this issue?

We sure do !

I don't know why ALL cruise lines just don't start requiring passengers to use hand sanitizers before all meals. On the Sapphire Princess last December you could not enter the buffet lines or get a tray without cleaning your hands. Even in the main dining rooms they had pump bottles at the entrance and encouraged people to use them.

They had these bottles all over the Sapphire. In the Internet Center, Library, gym, etc. I just wish everyone would start usng them.

Tavelnut ~ October is a LONG time from now. I don't think you need to be concerned at this point. With the right conditions, these things can happen on any ship on any cruise line.

Today for my cruise on Mercury on the 27th I bought another large box of Immodium, a big can of Lysol and some more Airborne tablets. I already have my bars of Dial soap, my Pepto Bismol, my Purell, my packets of Purell and a bunch of fingers and toes to keep crossed.

I hope the cruisers that went out last night have a good trip and not too much illness.

Archived