QE Alaska cruise - outside passage?

newbie202020

Please help! I think I made have made a mistake and booked the Q423 QE 10-day trip to Alaska in July 2024 without realizing that it's the outside passage. As you can tell, I'm not familiar with Alaska (nor cruising). I do tend to get motion sickness but was ok with taking my first cruise to Alaska last year on Celebrity in the inside passage. I took the non-drowsy anti nausea pill every day and was fine.

I am so excited to cruise Cunard next and booked this cruise below without realizing that it's may be on the outside passage where I hear that the waves are much rougher. Could you please advise if this is the outside passage and if the ocean may not be calm? Thanks very much

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/find-a-cruise/Q423/Q423

50 minutes ago, newbie202020 said:

Please help! I think I made have made a mistake and booked the Q423 QE 10-day trip to Alaska in July 2024 without realizing that it's the outside passage. As you can tell, I'm not familiar with Alaska (nor cruising). I do tend to get motion sickness but was ok with taking my first cruise to Alaska last year on Celebrity in the inside passage. I took the non-drowsy anti nausea pill every day and was fine.

I am so excited to cruise Cunard next and booked this cruise below without realizing that it's may be on the outside passage where I hear that the waves are much rougher. Could you please advise if this is the outside passage and if the ocean may not be calm? Thanks very much

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/find-a-cruise/Q423/Q423

Here’s the itinerary map:

A good portion of the cruise looks like open ocean. 
I’m looking at Alaska next year too. This voyage looks good. 

IMG_3728.webp

Edited by NE John
  • Thanks 1

Hello Newbie202020,

I was on QE this past June - a 12 day cruise as opposed to your 10 days in July 2024.  This is definitely an inside passage itinerary and you will be in protected waters.

I predict you will be fine and you will love the ship and ports.

Enjoy!

Marion

• Thanks 1

I have taken three of the QE cruises to Alaska. The maps are often incorrect.  Leaving Vancouver the ship travels between Vancouver Island and the mainland. That should show properly for some cruises. The cruise after your shows the actual route.

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/find-a-cruise/Q424/Q424

The QE will, however, return on the outside of Vancouver Island as there is a call at Victoria.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

I have taken three of the QE cruises to Alaska. The maps are often incorrect.  Leaving Vancouver the ship travels between Vancouver Island and the mainland. That should show properly for some cruises. The cruise after your shows the actual route.

The QE will, however, return on the outside of Vancouver Island as there is a call at Victoria.

Thanks very much David. This is very helpful. Does this mean that the ocean might be rough on the way to Victoria? Thanks

13 hours ago, newbie202020 said:

Thanks very much David. This is very helpful. Does this mean that the ocean might be rough on the way to Victoria? Thanks

It could be, of course, but on the three cruises of 10 days each we had only one day when it was a little bumpy. That was going north on the stretch of open sea from the north end of Vancouver Island until protected by the Haida Gwaii (formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands). We were in Britannia on the first of those cruises, so with the restaurant being right at the stern there was noticeable motion during our meals that day.  Very few passengers were sea-sick, though, judging by  what few empty seats there were at tables.

On the three cruises when we came south on the outside of Vancouver Island it was calm. Each time it was in the month of June.  I hope you enjoy it. We have a seasick remedy with us just in case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

A mistake on the Cunard website?????????? I'm shocked!!!

Seriously, I agree with David. I've done 4 Alaska cruises, 3 out of Vancouver with the side passage to call at Victoria, and one out of Seattle, with outside passage both ways. One rough day on the outside passage, but the other times it was smooth.

The sea is unpredictable, but don't cancel the cruise because you're worried about one day out of 10. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, newbie202020 said:

I took the non-drowsy anti nausea pill every day and was fine.

newbie202020

We are looking at the same cruise, it does look interesting. We got off the QE last week (LA to Ft Lauderdale via Panama Canal) and were very impressed how stable this ship is. If your current anti-nausea medication is working for you, don't change. However, we have found that candied ginger works wonderfully. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1