Private Family Event On-board

Guest clcizme2

Guest clcizme2

I am looking for some advice from anyone who has booked a private event onboard a Norwegian Cruise.  We are looking to do a private family party and started with the Special Events people and then were sent to the Group people and then back.  We were told that we had to actually book the cruise before we could book a room.  We booked a modest number of rooms to get things going but have had nothing but trouble getting timely responses from the Special Events department and the Group people.  I am wondering if this is a common experience with others and would like to know any tips or helps to make this process easier and less stress filled.  Thanks for any and all responses.  

4 hours ago, clcizme2 said:

I am looking for some advice from anyone who has booked a private event onboard a Norwegian Cruise.  We are looking to do a private family party and started with the Special Events people and then were sent to the Group people and then back.  We were told that we had to actually book the cruise before we could book a room.  We booked a modest number of rooms to get things going but have had nothing but trouble getting timely responses from the Special Events department and the Group people.  I am wondering if this is a common experience with others and would like to know any tips or helps to make this process easier and less stress filled.  Thanks for any and all responses.  

Welcome to Cruise Critic. What is a "modest number"? I am assuming that you booked 5 or more together to get the group rates/perks and get assigned group concierge who is responsible for helping set up events.

Don't know if the dog is still there, but it was at the entrance to the Cavern Club when it first opened.  "Welcome"

image.png.f55631e04f0d6c01dffbfe8b51848383.png

Edited by BirdTravels

You would need to book a minimum of 5 rooms to receive extra assistances for your family. 

Perhaps the size of your family/group doesn't qualify for what NCL recognizes as a "group booking".  Did you utilize the information on this link?

https://www.ncl.com/group-cruises?cid=PS_DIG_NA_BRP_BIN_NA_NA_NA_NA_NA_NAM&&msclkid=4c091ea7c9c71451cdec7ba3ecdb98fa&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds?cid=PS_DIG_NA_BRP_BIN_NA_NA_NA_NA_NA_NAM&&msclkid=4c091ea7c9c71451cdec7ba3ecdb98fa&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

Guest clcizme2
8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What is a "modest number"?

Thanks for the welcome.  Years ago, I was a very active Cruise Critic member.  But lost my password along the way and now can't get into my old account.  lol

Modest is 9 rooms.  Our private event is actually supposed to take place in the Cavern Club on Norwegian Epic. lol.  It is sort of confusing because the Group Concierge is the one that told us we had to book with the Special Events person for the party, yet on the web site it says that they will do all that for you.  The special events person has been very difficult to communicate with and the Group Concierge have been non-responsive to our group ever since we put down our deposits on the rooms. Not all the rooms included the items that we were supposed to have as part of a group booking and some of the rooms ended up being more expensive than she had quoted us (one was more than if they hadn't booked through the group package). That is why I wondered if other people have had this difficulty with NCL?  I have done a similar event before on MSC and we didn't have nearly the frustration that we are experiencing this time.  Some of our family wants to back out because of it and go with a different cruise line or do it land locked at a resort. Looking for advice from someone who has done an event on NCL before.  Thought I might find someone here  ; )

Guest clcizme2
1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

You would need to book a minimum of 5 rooms to receive extra assistances for your family. 

Perhaps the size of your family/group doesn't qualify for what NCL recognizes as a "group booking".  Did you utilize the information on this link?

https://www.ncl.com/group-cruises?cid=PS_DIG_NA_BRP_BIN_NA_NA_NA_NA_NA_NAM&&msclkid=4c091ea7c9c71451cdec7ba3ecdb98fa&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds?cid=PS_DIG_NA_BRP_BIN_NA_NA_NA_NA_NA_NAM&&msclkid=4c091ea7c9c71451cdec7ba3ecdb98fa&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

Thanks for responding.  Yes, that is exactly why we are frustrated.  The 'services' and 'promotions' that they mentioned on that page are not what we are experiencing.  I am wondering if we just have a bad group concierge or if this is typical.  I actually got super frustrated and called the main group booking line again and asked to speak to a supervisor about it.  I was given a case # and told I would be contacted by one within 48 hours.  At the end of the 48 hours it was right after the weekend, so I gave them until Tuesday instead. No call, so I called the group number again to cancel all the rooms and the person on the phone told me that someone was 'looking into' our case and would call me by the end of the week.  It is Friday morning now, no call as yet. We are beyond frustrated and my family is going to mutiny if I don't get this resolved.  I am wondering if other group people have had this much difficulty.  I read a bunch of very negative reviews on other sites online but they were closed sites and I couldn't ask those people questions. Thanks for any advice or help you can offer.  I'd love to hear about the events that you have held on their ships and how they went for you.  : )

I have never booked a large group, but i would think a Travel Agent would be best for this situation.  They know how to play all the ins/outs. and as a large group, you might get extra perks that you can't get on your own.  Just my advise.

• Like 1