Cruise cancellation - Saga inflexibility very disappointing

Palmeat

Due to treatment for a health condition we have had to cancel a forthcoming Saga cruise. Whilst we've cruised with many lines, this was our first with Saga and we are really disappointed. Our agents approached Saga to see if we could transfer our booking to a future cruise, but astonishingly (to us) they will only do this 'within the same calendar year'. Our 5 week cruise was November and December, so pointless. Forgive me if this angle of 'within the same calendar year' has been covered previously but if not, beware. We accept the insurable penalty deductions for cancellation, but Saga shows no mercy or flexibility and has lost a customer.

Saga really don't like dealing with Agents. In 2020 we had a cruise booked for May that year. The offers via the agent (1st & only time I haven't booked direct)  were nowhere as good as when Saga rang me to discuss options a few days later. We took Saga's options but they then had to communicate via the Agent. It was messy & I will never book Saga via an Agent again.

As an aside when we did a Scenic River Cruise I wished I'd booked direct.

Thanks for your replies. Don't want to open a 'direct vs TA' debate, but we've used the same agents for years and it works for us. I'm advised Saga don't allow many agents to book their cruises - and agent websites can only offer the same price as the Saga website. That said, we were given a roughly 10% discount by our agents and when Saga reduced the cruise fare they were able to negotiate a further 'new to Saga' discount (whatever that is?) and switched our 'unassigned' standard cabin booking to a G grade in a decent location. Overall we felt the 'cost' of booking via agents (no access to Manage my Booking on the Saga website or qualification for the loyalty programme) was justified by the savings and service we received.

Re the cancellation, it's my problem so not complaining and yes, we have insurance to cover the 60% penalty - but my point was that had we been offered the opportunity to transfer our reservation to a future cruise we would have done this and would still be eager Saga customers. It's the Saga 'rule' that they will only transfer within the same calendar year which seems very strange and has caused my angst. If this is their 'rule' then I don't imagine it matters if you book direct or via an agent?

Sorry to hear of the health problems, and hope that the treatment is swiftly effective.

The booking conditions (since at least 2018) say under section 6 that if you wish to change the date of the cruise the only way to do so is to cancel and rebook.

It looks as if there may be more flexibility to transfer under section 13, medical conditions, but it seems to assume that this is only if you have Saga included insurance and Saga themselves decide the cruise is not suitable/they cannot insure you..

They have in the past allowed changes from one cruise to another, but only if the new cruise is more expensive than the existing one.

ADDED: by "more expensive" that means extra payment, either by a cruise that costs more or a higher grade of cabin.

Not sure about the same year, but think it had to be a specified replacement (i.e, one that was already on general sale, not just an unidentified future cruise).

Not sure whether your TA simply went and asked Saga about transferring the cruise, or whether they tried asking Saga if Saga considered the cruise would still be suitable, and - if not (as it seems would be the case) whether you could transfer to a cruise starting after the treatment ended.

Worth checking with your TA.

Good luck.

Edited by nosapphire
added bit

44 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Sorry to hear of the health problems, and hope that the treatment is swiftly effective.

The booking conditions (since at least 2018) say under section 6 that if you wish to change the date of the cruise the only way to do so is to cancel and rebook.

It looks as if there may be more flexibility to transfer under section 13, medical conditions, but it seems to assume that this is only if you have Saga included insurance and Saga themselves decide the cruise is not suitable/they cannot insure you..

They have in the past allowed changes from one cruise to another, but only if the new cruise is more expensive than the existing one.

ADDED: by "more expensive" that means extra payment, either by a cruise that costs more or a higher grade of cabin.

Not sure about the same year, but think it had to be a specified replacement (i.e, one that was already on general sale, not just an unidentified future cruise).

Not sure whether your TA simply went and asked Saga about transferring the cruise, or whether they tried asking Saga if Saga considered the cruise would still be suitable, and - if not (as it seems would be the case) whether you could transfer to a cruise starting after the treatment ended.

Worth checking with your TA.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input. All sadly academic now as we've cancelled.