Vancouver cruise terminal security check

CH_ca

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows what's the biggest size luggage you can hand carry onboard that will fit through their security scanner. I know carry-ons and backpacks for sure can. What if you don't want to drop off your luggage (bigger than 20") to the porters? Will it fit into the scanning machine?

Thanks

Interesting question! The x-ray machines in Vancouver are similar to those at the security check at the airport, so I doubt a full-size suitcase would fit. 

It may also depend on your cruise line's policies. All luggage that is handed off at the port still goes through a security x-ray, looking for weapons and contraband. (I've been called to the naughty room once - lol). 

1 hour ago, dawnvip said:

Interesting question! The x-ray machines in Vancouver are similar to those at the security check at the airport, so I doubt a full-size suitcase would fit. 

It may also depend on your cruise line's policies. All luggage that is handed off at the port still goes through a security x-ray, looking for weapons and contraband. (I've been called to the naughty room once - lol). 

My 60th birthday cruise, I also went to the naughty room.  For a bottle of vodka!!!  In my defense, it was purchased in San Juan for my birthday and not opened.  I sure as hell wasn't leaving it in SJU, so I tried to put it in my checked luggage.  I did get it back at the end of the cruise...LOL!!!!

As dawnvip said, the security scanners at Canada Place are very similar to a typical airport.

Another consideration is that you'll then have to bring your luggage with you during the rest of check-in. The exact process may vary depending on how many ships are in town that day, but Canada Place is *not* well-organized for cruise embarkation. There are a lot of lines that snake back and forth, and you go up an escalator for check-in and then back down for security. Even with luggage on wheels, it could be a hassle.

I'm thinking of taking a 24" luggage instead of a 20" carry-on. I know they all get checked one way or the other. I just like to keep everything with me if possible. 😄 But if the check-in scanner cannot fit a 24", then I'll just leave it with the porters.

• 4 months later...