Vancouver cruise terminal security check

CH_ca

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows what's the biggest size luggage you can hand carry onboard that will fit through their security scanner. I know carry-ons and backpacks for sure can. What if you don't want to drop off your luggage (bigger than 20") to the porters? Will it fit into the scanning machine?

Ā 

Thanks

Interesting question! The x-ray machines in Vancouver are similar to those at the security check at the airport, so I doubt a full-size suitcase would fit.Ā 

Ā 

It may also depend on your cruise line's policies. All luggage that is handed off at the port still goes through a security x-ray, looking for weapons and contraband. (I've been called to the naughty room once - lol).Ā 

1 hour ago, dawnvip said:

Interesting question! The x-ray machines in Vancouver are similar to those at the security check at the airport, so I doubt a full-size suitcase would fit.Ā 

Ā 

It may also depend on your cruise line's policies. All luggage that is handed off at the port still goes through a security x-ray, looking for weapons and contraband. (I've been called to the naughty room once - lol).Ā 

My 60th birthday cruise, I also went to the naughty room.Ā  For a bottle of vodka!!!Ā  In my defense, it was purchased in San Juan for my birthday and not opened.Ā  I sure as hell wasn't leaving it in SJU, so I tried to put it in my checked luggage.Ā  I did get it back at the end of the cruise...LOL!!!!

As dawnvip said, the security scanners at Canada Place are very similar to a typical airport.

Ā 

Another consideration is that you'll then have to bring your luggage with you during the rest of check-in. The exact process may vary depending on how many ships are in town that day, but Canada Place is *not* well-organized for cruise embarkation. There are a lot of lines that snake back and forth, and you go up an escalator for check-in and then back down for security. Even with luggage on wheels, it could be a hassle.

I'm thinking of taking a 24" luggage instead of a 20" carry-on. I know they all get checked one way or the other. I just like to keep everything with me if possible. šŸ˜„ But if the check-in scanner cannot fit a 24", then I'll just leave it with the porters.

• 4 months later...