ETIAS and New DCL European Itinerary Structure

TheHistoryDoctor

I think everyone by now knows that the ETIAS visa waiver will be implemented in 2024, making a small impact on DCL travelers. There really is no bad news here, other than the open question of whether DCL will require passengers to upload their application information for relevant cruises. The visa waiver will be required of everyone taking advantage of the 2024 itineraries, whether or not they leave from the Continent or the UK (as all but one UK itinerary will stop at a European port [Well, the Republic of Ireland is European but it has a waiver for UK travel]). That the waiver is good for three years should encourage people to apply as soon as their trip is secured, and the fact that it is free for anyone under 18, and over 70, makes it almost de minimis in terms of expense (the cost of two drinks of the day on the Disney Dream). 

What I did learn, when looking deeper into the 2024 DCL European itineraries for this, is that, for the first time (in my memory), DCL is basing half of the itineraries out of one port: Southampton. In a loop, the Dream will make excursions to Belgium, France, Spain, Norway, etc. The only other ports of departure/arrival are Barcelona and Civitavecchia, so no Copenhagen next year. I'm curious as to why the Southampton basing makes more sense to DCL as a tactic, although the instability of the eastern Baltic and the congestion at Dover might have played roles.

Any thoughts?

Have you seen or heard any information about an implementation date? All I can find is the vague "sometime in 2024" timing. Nothing can happen with ETIAS until the EES (entry/exit system) goes into place, which has an even more vague "TBC" timing. Interestingly enough, the Schengen Information System is the other part of that process, which has been implemented for a group of 31 countries, but not the United Kingdom. It looks like there's still a lot of details to be sorted out before ETIAS goes live.

We have a spring European cruise booked and with my luck, they'll roll it out the week we sail.

• 1 month later...