Warner v P&O

emam

7 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Thank you for your review, it all sounds very promising, sounds like we would like it. Were the entertainment and shows good?

I have subscribed to their emails/ brochures to see what’s on offer there.

Going to Warners Nidd Hall on 20 Dec, taking the in-laws, they haven’t done a Warners break before.

Michelle 

We really enjoyed the production shows by the theatre company, easily the equal of anything we've seen at sea, and a lot better in some cases. The theatre was great as well, with excellent views where ever you sat. 

The entertainment staff were talented and hardworking too. They did a variety show when the theatre company had a night off, and they were always popping up during the day in the bars with singing and quizzes etc. 

The only drawback that I can see is that, as all entertainment is in house with no visiting artists, it could get a bit repetitive for people who visit often. This is why I'll probably give it 18 months before going again.

We are going to Nidd in May. As it's a long drive for us, we are going for a week, and will do 4 nights at Thoresby on the way back 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Waju said:

We're going to Gunton Hall on Monday!  This will be our first Warners break and we're looking forward to trying them out.

I'll be interested to know how you get on.

We have been wondering about Gunton for a break next December 

10 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'll pop back on here at the end of next week.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 3:29 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

Back from our little break at Gunton Hall now - I have mixed feelings about the holiday.

Our 'chalet' was lovely, very modern with nice furniture - I think it is very recently refurbished.  It reminded me of a cabin.  We only booked the cheapest room so were impressed with it.  The only thing I didn't like too much is having to put your coat on to go to breakfast/dinner etc. and then find somewhere to leave it once you got to the dining room.

The food was really good,  nice variety and good quality BUT I much prefer to be served than keep getting up and down to the buffet,  I liked that the staff let you choose your table from what was available and then that was your table for the whole break.

We like to be entertained and were slightly disappointed, it was ok but only ok.  I am aware that you can find out who the entertainers are before you book so it would be easy to choose a holiday around what suited your interests better.

We were also disappointed with what seemed to be lack of maintenance, curtains hanging off the rails in the dining room, swimming pool has been unheated for over two weeks apparently but they are still advertising activities in there.

Finally, I though the drinks prices were quite steep but perhaps I'm just a Wetherspoons girl at heart!

• Like 2

We took our family to Potters Hopton for Halloween, as others have said we found it very good value especially nowm its all inclusive, for the dining there was 9 of us and you get your own table for all meals so no worrying about having to find a table every time.

We had booked the bungelows for our son & daughter & families but we thought we would spash out and booked what they class as their Penthouse Suite in the hotel which compares to any suites on a cruise ship, very large bed, a lounge area with  sofa & chairs, kitchen area and a huge bathroom with whirlpool bath, the balcony was massive with sun loungers and table & chairs and looked out towards the sea.

Loads of activities including archey, tem pin bowling, rifle shooting and even a full size golf karting track so all in all we felt it was a good choice, the only negative I would say is the swimming pool is quite small for the amount of guests.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waju said:

Back from our little break at Gunton Hall now - I have mixed feelings about the holiday.

Our 'chalet' was lovely, very modern with nice furniture - I think it is very recently refurbished.  It reminded me of a cabin.  We only booked the cheapest room so were impressed with it.  The only thing I didn't like too much is having to put your coat on to go to breakfast/dinner etc. and then find somewhere to leave it once you got to the dining room.

The food was really good,  nice variety and good quality BUT I much prefer to be served than keep getting up and down to the buffet,  I liked that the staff let you choose your table from what was available and then that was your table for the whole break.

We like to be entertained and were slightly disappointed, it was ok but only ok.  I am aware that you can find out who the entertainers are before you book so it would be easy to choose a holiday around what suited your interests better.

We were also disappointed with what seemed to be lack of maintenance, curtains hanging off the rails in the dining room, swimming pool has been unheated for over two weeks apparently but they are still advertising activities in there.

Finally, I though the drinks prices were quite steep but perhaps I'm just a Wetherspoons girl at heart!

Thanks for doing that, much appreciated, and it confirms other reports that I've seen.

We have booked the Turkey and Tinsel for next year at Gunton. We've booked a room in Willow Cottage, which is close to the main entrance of the hotel, in order to avoid too much walking outside.

Most of the Warner's sites have a hybrid buffet/waiter service in their main dining rooms, but, for some reason, Gunton has gone full buffet, which hasn't been a popular decision in some quarters.

I agree about the drinks prices. We mostly stick to soft drinks to keep the expenditure down ! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Thanks for doing that, much appreciated, and it confirms other reports that I've seen.

We have booked the Turkey and Tinsel for next year at Gunton. We've booked a room in Willow Cottage, which is close to the main entrance of the hotel, in order to avoid too much walking outside.

Most of the Warner's sites have a hybrid buffet/waiter service in their main dining rooms, but, for some reason, Gunton has gone full buffet, which hasn't been a popular decision in some quarters.

I agree about the drinks prices. We mostly stick to soft drinks to keep the expenditure down ! 

We have booked a couple of nights at Heythorpe Park. They have 3 restaurants. Although we booked late, we manages to get into 2 of them. Having a bit of variety suits us. Some of the others used to have a selection of restaurants.  Cricket, Holm Lacey, Thorsby Hall. Perhaps they will loosen the purse strings on their expenditure now things are looking up a bit for them.

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have booked a couple of nights at Heythorpe Park. They have 3 restaurants. Although we booked late, we manages to get into 2 of them. Having a bit of variety suits us. Some of the others used to have a selection of restaurants.  Cricket, Holm Lacey, Thorsby Hall. Perhaps they will loosen the purse strings on their expenditure now things are looking up a bit for them.

So far, we have only been to Warner's with the one restaurant, although quite a few have the Brasserie 32, which is a full waiter service restaurant. We have booked Thoresby and Nidd for next year, both of which have a B32. We've booked our meals for a mix between B32 and the main restaurant..

We've also booked Heythrop, and have spread our dining over the 3 venues

34 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

So far, we have only been to Warner's with the one restaurant, although quite a few have the Brasserie 32, which is a full waiter service restaurant. We have booked Thoresby and Nidd for next year, both of which have a B32. We've booked our meals for a mix between B32 and the main restaurant..

We've also booked Heythrop, and have spread our dining over the 3 venues

We only booked yesterday, so couldn't get into B32. Maybe we will try when we get there, but the pub menu looks quite good. Thorsby is good, but we haven't tried Nidd yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

No problem...........

I'm beginning to wish we'd booked again for next year while we were there as the price was excellent but perhaps we'll choose one nearer to home as Gunton was a 4.5hr journey for us.

They did do Turkey and Tinsel well - the tables were nicely decorated for Christmas Day and New Years Day!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 4:24 PM, Interestedcruisefan said:

https://www.pottersresorts.com/

A friend of mine (comedian/compere) sadly passed away now. Was working at the above resorts 

Descibed them as as cruise holidays on land. 

Never been myself. I'm sure some on here must have 

My wife and I in our  late 20s mistakenly  ended up as by far the youngest guests on a Warner's holiday in Hayling Island. We just thought it was adults  only. Didnt realise that was code for OAPs only until we arrived.

Had a great time though. Mick Miller (comedian) came in one night to do a show I remember

That included a day out to Goodwood Races

We have done numerous Warner breaks & are getting very tired of the menus. Someone there was talking about Potters.

First time we went to Warner it was very very good. That was Littlecote House. They had a la carte restaurant where you got served freshly cooked breakfast if you were staying in the old house.

All the hotels had their own menus with a choice of locally inspired mains served to the table as well as the carvery.

Nidd had an a la carte restaurant too.

We go to Hayling Island a few times a year to meet up with family. The food was so bad a Sinah Warren last time that we have booked the Premier Inn at Havant for our next trip.

We are OAPs but there are quite often younger guests. People in there 20s do tend to be part of a familt, stag or hen group though.

On 12/9/2023 at 8:10 AM, Peanut006 said:

Thank you for your review, it all sounds very promising, sounds like we would like it. Were the entertainment and shows good?

I have subscribed to their emails/ brochures to see what’s on offer there.

Going to Warners Nidd Hall on 20 Dec, taking the in-laws, they haven’t done a Warners break before.

Michelle 

We have done Nidd Hall twice this year and found it lovely! Food was good both in the buffet and other dining room. Entertainment good. We were in a premium room both times which were great. Hope you have settled in and really enjoying your stay at Nidd. Go into Harrogate, lovely place. 

• Like 2