Walking @ ports

Mimie03

We are doing a Christmas cruise on Eurodam. 

Atm I’m walking with a cane (surgery in January). I’m concerned about walking to get to and from excursions. Does anyone know if there are shuttles of any sort at ports like San Juan, St. Thomas & Grand Turk plus the private island. Walking there won’t be as much of an issue as returning since after a day out, my foot is guaranteed to give me exhausted grief. I could bring a small walker but then there’s the ‘where to stash this thing’ on excursions and it’s just so cumbersome that I’d prefer to use my cane. 

So, with all that said, does anyone know if there’s some assistance available at these ports?

Most of the Caribbean ports do not offer or provide wheelchair or “shuttle” assistance. One exception is Amber Cove, which does (sometimes) offer rickshaw assistance between the ship and the security office. It’s at least 1500 feet from there to where excursions leave from,

Of the ports listed, San Juan and St. Thomas have probably the shortest walk from the gangway to excursion buses- 750 to 1000 feet.

If you do choose to bring a walker or wheelchair, you probably will want to confirm with HAL excursion that your device can be accommodated.. Some vehicles simply have no storage space and/or may not be typical buses. St. Thomas, in particular, uses modified trucks with bench seating. Embarking/disembarking requires climbing a short ladder or stair. Greyhound-style busses require going up and down a stair. If you bring a wheelchair, someone in your party or another guest will need to push you.

You could choose to rent equipment from Special Needs @ Sea or another authorized supplier-they will deliver the equipment yo your cabin prior to sailing. You’ll need to order at least a few days prior to your cruise. If you choose to bring from home, the airlines cannot for flying walkers and wheelchairs 

Depending on the excursion, walking at a particular pace is expected, or stairs may be on a particular route (shouldn’t be an issue on Grand Turk unless going upstairs in a building). The Bacardi plant in San Juan is accessible, please let me know if you go on the tour and find differently.

Thank you. In San Juan we have a half day snorkeling trip planned in Farajado. In St. Thomas it’s a site seeing, shopping, beach day (full day) and Grand Turk we are renting a golf cart so that’s an easy one. 

I do have a walker (traveller 3 wheel) I COULD bring but I really don’t want to. It’s just a pain all the way around. 

I think my biggest concern is St. Thomas since it’s an earlier excursion so we need to get there promptly. I guess it’s hurry to get off so I can go slowly and try to pace myself. 

Your information is thorough and good. Thank you. 

Non-ship excursions could, and often do, require some additional walking.

Golf cart rentals at Grand Turk are outside the secure port shopping area- carts are not permitted into the space. Please expect to add on an extra 500 feet from the ship’s excursion transportation pickup area.The port shopping area at Grand Turk (and Margaritaville) is very accessible.

Many of the shops in St. Thomas require a step up into the store. A few can be extra-high. Most do not have a wheelchair-accessible alternative entrance.Sedan taxis are infrequently seen- most “taxis” are shared-ride trucks 

• Thanks 1