Tauck-Budapest to Amsterdam June 2024-Questions

chrism23

Hi.  I am new to this board but not to cruise critic.  I am a regular on the Silversea site having sailed with them 10 times.  Hello Jazzbeau.  We are doing the Budapest to Amsterdam trip on June 2 on the Espirit.  This is our first river cruise.  We have been with Tauck twice before, one land only trip to the US Canyon Lands which was spectacular. And also a cruise to Cuba, on the Ponant- its first ship, a gorgeous art deco sailing ship, with cabins that were way too small.  This cruise will go down in Tauck lore, there was a nasty storm, and a full blown Force 5 tornado when we arrived in Havana. We were on the 18th floor of our hotel and the power went out.  Enough said.  Take away, don't sail the Ponant and delete Cuba from your to do list.  Anyhow.

I booked this trip on Friday.  There were only 2 cabins left on the Diamond deck, #s 315 and 316 which are aft separated from Arthur's by 2 smaller cabins.   I took 315 and still have 8 days to cancel.  

My concerns:  

1.  Are there sufficient tables for 2 in the Compass Rose restaurant.  I absolutely loathe eating with other people at larger tables.  This is a disqualifier.  

2.  Is Arthurs, its alternative restaurant crowded or noisy.  I am 2 cabins away.  On SS I always book suites away from potential noise-elevators, restaurants etc.  This would be another disqualifier.

3.  For those who have done both Tauck and Silversea how does the food compare.  I really like the food and beverage service on SS (I am not a total snob).

4.  I noticed the Espirit was last refurbished in 2018.  Has anyone been on board recently and what kind of shape is the ship in?

Thanks for any help.  ( I would be happy to share any thoughts on Silversea which has become my home away from home. I love them)

cheers

chris

Can't answer any of your other questions - but re no 1 -  pretty well all river boats on Europe river cruises are very similar set up - since width and height is limited by requirement to fit through locks and under bridges

If the ship is fully booked, I doubt you will be sure of a table for two at every dinner time - and anyway the tables for 2 are really close to the next tables so you won't be really alone anyway.

Here is a youtube review of Tauck- you can skip through to the section on dining and see the dining set up for yourself

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Chris, Just happened to see your post about the Inspire.   Dont know what you have decided and if my answers will be of any help.

We have completed 4 Tauck river cruises including one on the Inspire.   Tauck ships are almost identical so I think I can answer your questions.

1. When you go to meals in the Compass Rose, there is someone who will lead you to a table. If you request a table for two they will make it happen.   However, people will often ask if they can join you. You can handle that as you see fit.  Tauck does tend to encourage socializing but since Covid they  have backed off on that, especially at meals.

2.  We have never heard hallway noise from any of our cabins on any of the ships so I cannot imagine you would hear Arthurs.  . Arthur's is a small room and it never seemed busy when we passed through.  If your cabin on the the Ruby deck you have a flight of steps to get to Arthurs so you would not be on that level.

3. We have never been on Silversea but the food on our Tauck ships was excellent with lots of interesting choices at all three meals.   They tend to create menus that go with the regions where we are traveling.  Dinner is always an exceptionally nice experience.

4. We were on the Espirit last year and I dont recall any wear and tear.  The ships are well taken care of.

Hope this helps.