Port Canaveral advice needed

24butterfly

Ok all us wanna be travel agents--now's your chance: We're doing the Carnival Glory out of Port Canaveral this summer. So:

How far is PC from Disney World?

Should we fly into Orlando (I guess that's where we'll be flying into anyway)?

(we'll get the ship's t-fer at the end of the cruise)

Yes, we'll rent a car, for a couple of days pre-cruise--drive from Orlando to PC? (do they have drop off terminals to leave a rented car?)How do we drop the car off?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

Oh--HOTEL recommendations....Thanks again.

So you're doing the Glory this summer. We are doing the Pride this summer. It's kinda like trading places for a week. As a former Carnival employee that worked Port Canaveral, I think I might be able to give you some info. To Disney from the port is about an hour and fifteen minutes, depending on traffic. You will be able to get a rental car at OIA but there are no drop-off points right at the port. You can check with the rental agency when you get your car and they can tell you where you can drop off the car and they will probably take you to the port. Exactly what week are you on the Glory.

Hi,

cruzer472: what is a good precruise hotel for our May 27th Sensation sailing? We are driving in the night before and will be parking our car at the port during our sailing because of it being a more secured area to leave our car versus a hotel. thanks!

I have used all three transportation methods to get from Orlando to PC. The first time I used the ship's shuttle bus-ok but you have to wait around for enough people to fill the bus before you leave. Expensive if you are travelling with several people.

The second time we rented a car from avis-picked up at the airport and dropped off close to the port-then they drive you in a shuttle bus to the ship-again you wait for it to fill but it doesn't take long as many people use this option. And it is a nice drive.

The third time we used Art's shuttle after I read about it on CC. Best option yet. They pick you up exactly when and where you want. Drop you at the door. And on return they meet you with a sign where you exit the terminal. In the future I would use Art's again.

The Raddison Resort at the Port is the hotel we stayed at back in January. They offer a free shuttle to the port and allow you to leave your car there for the duration of your cruise. Select Comfort Beds in some of the rooms (we discovered our "sleep number"), very large hot tub, and the former church - transformed into a store where last minute cruise supplies could purchased. We have booked another cruise for January 07 and will definitely be staying there again.

We stayed at the Radisson Resort at the Port last May and were extremely pleased. Ask for the cruise package...you get free buffet breakfast and they park you car free. They take you to and from the port with NO waiting. The pool area is beautiful and service is excellent.

They also have a webcam on top of their motel so you can check out the ships at Port Canaveral.

We have a timeshare at Ron Jon Cape Caribe Resort in Port Canaveral. They let others rent rooms there and you can ask for a port side condo or room and can watch the ships come and go everyday. We always go a few days early to enjoy everything at the resort. Not sure if you are cruising with children but they have a HUGE indoor play place, a indoor movie theatre(free), putt-putt, water park, and shuttle to the beach. It is a great resort and I don't think you would be disappointed. Its about 1 mile from the port.

There is also a brand new Residence Inn right across from the Radisson. We have stayed at the Radisson a few times pre-cruise (and have always been very pleased), but prices were high for our April trip, so I used Priceline and got a good price for a Cocoa Beach hotel. We are renting from Budget as they have a shuttle and are now the closest drop to the port, I believe. Avis is a little farther down the road (with a shuttle), and I believe National has a drop off in Cocoa Beach, but may not have a shuttle.

Check the Hotels - Pre & Post Cruise Board for tons of good info regarding Port Canaveral hotels & transportation.

Archived