First Timers Sea Sickness Tablet Advice

Crestawave

On 9/28/2023 at 12:15 PM, sydney dog said:

You can always buy some ginger pills.  They are OTC and should be readily available.  I have really bad stomach issues and they work for me.

Candied Ginger works really well -- the relief is INSTANT but not 'specially long-lasting.  We can buy it in the produce section of Harris Teeter (grocery store) under the name brand Sweet Melissa, but I like to make my own.  You can Google and find recipes, but it's basically ginger root sliced thin, boiled in sugar water.  Easy to make.  

I like to chop it into small pieces and carry it in a ziplock or small Tupperware container.  

Green apples are another natural option.  

On 9/28/2023 at 12:20 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Whatever you use, please make *sure* to try it at home before your trip.  

Excellent advice.  

On 9/28/2023 at 12:31 PM, StollyBolly said:

I have found non drowsy tablets here in the US. 

Bonine.  

Take note of the strength you buy.  My friend took 1/2 a box she already had + a new box.  She was fine-fine-fine for the first couple days while she was taking the 24-hour stuff, but she didn't note that the new box was for a shorter period of time.  Maybe 8 hours or 12 hours?  She figured out pretty quickly why she suddenly fell sick.  

On 9/28/2023 at 1:14 PM, MBP&O2/O said:

Are you prone to motion sickness? If so, remember that a ships motion  is totally different to anything land based. Premier league v non league. 🙂

Don't psych your self up in this regard.

Again, good advice -- don't assume you'll have motion sickness.  I get car sick sometimes and occasionally get air sick, but I've never had any problem with motion sickness on a cruise ship.  Small boats, though -- like a snorkeling excursion -- are another story.  

If you do get sick, you need to go to your room and take a good, long nap to "reset" yourself.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

• 2 weeks later...

So I just came back from my cruise in the bahamas. We were on the 16th deck forward and brought bonine but never needed it. Barely felt anything. In fact, best sleep I've ever had when traveling. Our past cruise with Princess on the west coast in Feb was rough though and I needed medication. We were on deck 8 middle on that cruise and we could hear the hangers banging against each other. 

On 9/28/2023 at 12:15 PM, sydney dog said:

You can always buy some ginger pills.  They are OTC and should be readily available.  I have really bad stomach issues and they work for me.

I second the ginger pills, They really work and do not make me drowsy like the other pills do.

• Thanks 1