Luggage shipping

SherriZ366

After reading the thread on regional jets leaving behind luggage, I thought I'd research luggage shipping services. For my Aug. 6 Serenade cruise I may ship my 26 inch suitcase to the Vancouver hotel where I am staying pre-cruise and then just fly with my garment bag and a carry-on. I'd probably fill the suite case with dirty clothes on the way back and just check it -- would not care if it was late.

Has anyone had experience with any luggage shipping service? Thanks.

After reading the thread on regional jets leaving behind luggage, I thought I'd research luggage shipping services. For my Aug. 6 Serenade cruise I may ship my 26 inch suitcase to the Vancouver hotel where I am staying pre-cruise and then just fly with my garment bag and a carry-on. I'd probably fill the suite case with dirty clothes on the way back and just check it -- would not care if it was late.

Has anyone had experience with any luggage shipping service? Thanks.

First-are you sure you will have a RJ segment on your flights?

Second-cruise line luggage shipping is VERY expensive, even if you do it yourself. Figure in the neighborhood of $150.00 for one 50 pound suitcase (2 day-Fed EX or UPS delivery) through one of the luggage services (Luggage Express, Luggage Forward or Luggage Free). IF you do it yourself (meaning pack, label and drive your luggage to FedEx or UPS) you will probably save $50.00. But if you do it yourself, you will have to have a place for the luggage to be delivered. Another alternative which I have used is USPS Priority. The cost is about 1/2 for shipping charges. The suitcase will have to be boxed AND you will have to have a place for delivery. But the nice thing about the post office-you can add insurance at a reasonable cost. The delivery services usually only have $1000.00 insurance included. If you want more insurance it will cost you through the nose.

Third-One way to get free luggage shipping-a Citibank AA Platinum World Mastercard. AA miles on everything you buy and only $85.00 annual fee.

http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/cardserv/worldcard/plat.jsp

Exact details of the offer-http://www.866shipbags.com/benefit

greatam -- I'm totally sure I have a RJ on my flight from Savannah to Houston. We've got lots of RJ flights out of our small, darling 9 gate airport. Normally, I love these jets but this thread has me thinking a bit about the possibility of lost/left behind luggage. I have a 6:30 AM Saturday flight out of Savannah which may not be that full -- probably not full of cruisers so I may be ok. I am also flying in the day before and staying at the Sutton Place in downtown Vancouver.

I will check into the USPS option as the luggage could be delivered to my hotel. The $150 fee is what I have been seeing and finding a way to reduce it by $50 would be worthwhile. I would be happy to take the suitcase to a post office, UPS place or freight forwarder.

Thanks for the input.

Archived