Certain cabin classes and rates available for doubles but not singles

CindyBoMo

I was trying to book a November cruise on Eclipse from LAX to Cabo. The per person rates looked great. $449 for Oceanview and $499 for Concierge balcony.

When I went to book it I noticed that Inside, Ocean View guarantee, and Concierge guarantee cabins were available for doubles but not singles. The least expensive I could book for a solo was an ocean view for $1,942.93 and the same cabin class in guarantee is $1,011.86 for two people.  A $900 penalty for traveling alone.  

I contacted Celebrity via that chat tool and was told it is what it is.

I could book a fake second like my son person who no-shows, but now I'm just angry.

celebrity 11-11-double.png

celebrity 11-11-single.png

Celebrity chat.png

I have seen the same thing as the OP and sympathize with the frustration. For me, the best solution in most cases has been to work with a TA to get a group rate (double occupancy) that is cheaper than whatever Celebrity is offering online. That said, this approach probably won't work for late bookings (less than 90 days out) as the group rates may be sold out/not available at that point. Otherwise, go for whatever the best rate is, as the previous poster suggested. 

Old news - there was a whole thread on this earlier in September. On certain cruises / itineraries Celebrity is charging as much as a 400-500% premium to solo travellers.

For some reason - at the time -the Cabo cruises were the worst offenders.

Edited by RD64
Additional

11 hours ago, RD64 said:

Old news - there was a whole thread on this earlier in September. On certain cruises / itineraries Celebrity is charging as much as a 400-500% premium to solo travellers.

For some reason - at the time -the Cabo cruises were the worst offenders.

Do you have a link? I searched before I posted and couldn't find it.