Amazing Secret River / Rio Secreto

KatNiss Houston

I just came here to say ... do this excursion. It was the highlight of our back-to-back trip. We loved the cave adventure! It was so beautiful and worth every penny. Getting to swim in the cave under beautiful formations was very cool. Our guide Pepe was absolutely fantastic - so much information, and he was so fun also. Lots of jokes. There was an older woman on our tour who also couldn't swim and had some fears, and he took care of her like his own mother that day to make sure she was safe and comfortable throughout and that she had an amazing time. She ended up loving it. He will be very very honest with you about absolutely everything along the way.

The water is cold, about 75 degrees, the initial step in is quite chilly. But even without a wetsuit, my boyfriend and I did fine. I wore swim shorts and a swim suit, he just wore swim shorts. I'm a size 16-18 and felt uncomfortable putting on a wetsuit, and he had sensitivity issues and as soon as he put it on he knew he couldn't stand that tightness around his neck (he's super skinny, it's just the way a wetsuit fits). We did just fine without it, but those who opt for it probably were warmer. To me it's like river water - your body will adjust soon and it's fine.

The walk is very rocky and unstable. Definitely take the walking stick, no matter your abilities. Be careful. 

You won't be able to bring anything in with you. Lockers are good and spacious. 

Buying the photos is expensive, but we felt it was worth it. We got to be 100% in the moment the entire time, and we still had great photos to share. That money also helps support their operations.

I loved this tour. If you're on the fence, just do it. Tbh I'm about 5 lbs over the weight limit but had zero issues with the life vests or wetsuit fitting. They had all sizes. No one is weighing you. That's a question I couldn't get an answer to before hand... but it was all easy peasy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1