Travel Insurance Emergency Contact

Dancer Bob

Medipac, and I presume all others want an emergency contact. Will they expect this contact to make decisions for you- DNR, removal of life support, probably a bunch of other things I haven't thought of? If this person isn't willing to make these decisions, can they use this as a excuse to deny coverage?

3 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

Medipac, and I presume all others want an emergency contact. Will they expect this contact to make decisions for you- DNR, removal of life support, probably a bunch of other things I haven't thought of? If this person isn't willing to make these decisions, can they use this as an excuse to deny coverage?

You just state your emergency contact person when booking. It’s assumed this person is knowledgable in the next of kin who would know the people who can say where and how to meet the patient. They may not have PoA (Power of Attorney) for health decisions and if there isn’t a PoA the ships medical team are more than well equipped and can be trusted with the care and well being of the patient with the intention of their being kept alive. When they reach land the patient may be taken to hospital from the ship. You need to show your insurance coverage and contact info at that company so they can be made aware of claim. You’re likely to have to pay up front but having the med centre advise your insurance when stuff happens will help coordinate benefits. The captain has a lot 

12 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

Medipac, and I presume all others want an emergency contact. Will they expect this contact to make decisions for you- DNR, removal of life support, probably a bunch of other things I haven't thought of? If this person isn't willing to make these decisions, can they use this as a excuse to deny coverage?

The power of Google.

Medipac actually have an online brochure that outlines the role of an emergency contact.  Here is the link:

https://www.medipac.com/UserFiles/files/Medipac-Emergency-Contact-Information-Guide.pdf

• 1 month later...

Thanks CDNPolar. Helpful, but it sure does sound like they're trying to sneak in a loophole. No mention of paying the deductible, also suspicious. I'm surprised at so little response, I would have thought this scenario happens several times a year.