Teach me about all things Thermal Spa

jdkbrim

I will be sailing on the Seashore in a few months.  I thought I would finally take advantage of my free 1 hr in the thermal spa.  I’ve watched You Tube videos.  But, as I’ve never been in one before, all the options intimidate me.  So, I’m hoping some experienced users could help guide me in how I should use my hour with the showers/rooms/etc. since other than the hot tub, it’s all new to me.

We got the free hour on our recent Seaside cruise.  We made at reservation at the spa on boarding day and went back on a port day.  Since it was not busy, I think they would have let us stay as long as we wanted.  There are lockers to put your belonging in that you wish to keep dry, you simply use your cruise card to lock them.  I will warn you that several of the lockers were not functioning properly, so if the first one you try won't lock, just try another one.  We pretty much tried everything out for a bit (except the heated loungers because there are only three of them on the Seaside and they were occupied the entire time we were there).  There is a jetted pool.  There are several different saunas, both dry and steamy.  There is a room where various temperatures of jetted water shoot up out of the floor (amusing - I giggled a lot, but not necessarily relaxing).  There was a salt room and an ice room (bring flip flops or water shoes as even the floor is icy).  There is also an outdoor area, but we found it somewhat depressing as there were no plants or decoration and the loungers were just the standard ones with no padding.  I am glad I didn't pay to use the thermal suites, but I did enjoy getting to try them out for no cost.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sealynx said:

What do you wear in the sauna and steam baths? Go European and wear just your birthday suit, of do you have to cover up with a bathing suit? Or does it differ to where the ship is sailing?

It does not differ and with MSCs international clientele certainly a bathing suit is mandatory.

8 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

It does not differ and with MSCs international clientele certainly a bathing suit is mandatory.

On my first Seashore Cruise out of Miami in 2021, there was this younger European guy that I don't think got that message as he wandered around in a towel and would take it off to go into the sauna and hot tub.  No one ever said anything to him.  

We used our one hour  Gold perk at the spa last week. We were not particularly impressed and certainly didn't think it was worth paying extra for. The hot tub was nice, but as stated before, the heated lounge hairs were always occupied. There were only 3 of them. The ladies dressing area was uninspiring. I've been on cruises where just  the regular locker room was nicer. We felt the the hot-and-cold spritzer thing was just silly and totally a gimmick.

On 10/6/2023 at 7:50 PM, GPPhilly said:

On my first Seashore Cruise out of Miami in 2021, there was this younger European guy that I don't think got that message as he wandered around in a towel and would take it off to go into the sauna and hot tub.  No one ever said anything to him.  

But that’s considered perfectly normal in parts of Europe and they think its strange to wear clothing. A shower before entering is of course an essential, as are flip flops but not bathing costumes.

My friend was posted in central Europe and my first experience of spa culture there was a bit of a shock. I wear glasses but obviously not in a sauna. Elle and I went into the sauna and she was fidgety and wanted to leave.

I was quite happy.

When we went to cool off she asked me if I had not been embarrassed as I was seated on the lower level and most of the gents on the higher.

No I said.

She explained the view. All I can say is thank the Lord for poor eyesight, some steam and no glasses.