Livorno- Suggestions for easy to reach beach

Julesville777

8 minutes ago, fredflint said:

Not to be Debbie Downer, but travel is almost three to four hours each way, requires a ferry (not always a good thing in winter), plus toward the end of October the daily high may reach 70 (probably closer to upper 60s).  

The good news - beach won't be too busy.  

Edited by Girr
Adding info.

Yes, there are closer beaches, I was just responding to the previous suggestion. 

There are several beaches in/near Livorno, but I've never seen a "great" one.  Several years ago we just drove down the coastline and found several.  For the most part they were really rocky and no amenities - the locals just spread out on rocks.   Hopefully someone will be here soon with an actual beach in the immediate area.  

I'm guessing you're planning on spending day one in Florence or Pisa.  So, two other easy train options for a more chill day would be Lucca or La Spezia.  Both are about an hour fifteen each way (granted you'll have the issue of getting to the train station, but second day sometimes it's easier to get a taxi).  If you're not driving adverse normally you can rent a car right at the ship (it was Avis if I recall), and you could also drive to either of these locations, or drive a loop to San Gimignano, Siena, and then back up the coastline to Livorno.  (Don't forget you'll need to get an international driver's license.)

For an easy, relaxing day I would also suggest Lucca.   It's an easy train ride away and a lovely little walled village that's flat, unlike most of the walled towns in Tuscany.

Another option would be a natural springs spa.  There are a couple of them south of Livorno but it would require a car (rented or car service) to get there.

Terme Toscana Calidario Terme Etrusche Venturina Terme

Terme di Sassetta | Visit Tuscany

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1