Winter transatlantic weather

caller9

More info is needed. 

Traveling west to east or east to west?

Sailing to/from New York or a southern port?

If New York is involved, you can anticipate cold weather and potentially rougher sees, due to the northern route.

If Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or even South America, it's a whole different story. Seas may or may not be calmer, depending on Mother Nature's mood. You will need to pack cold weather and warm weather clothes.

Edited by schmoopie17

I sailed transatlantic West to East on the Cunarder QM2 in January 2013.  New York to Southampton. I packed the type of clothes I would wear on land that time of year.  Winter clothing but not necessarily parkas and heavy boots.  For fancy wear I choose winter fabrics and always had a pashima or shrug to wear.  There was only one night when the seas were rough.  It snowed one morning but the hardy walkers were still going round the decks.  England was miserable that time of year. Grey, damp and cold.   We left New York later (about 9 pm) than usual because it was the voyage after the voyage with  the norovirus outbreak. It was over the Christmas holidays. I heard half the crew were affected. The ship had to be disinfected which took time.  Many people went up on a high deck as we pulled out of the harbor to see the lights and it was bitter cold.  On board ship very comfortable dressed for winter.

23 hours ago, caller9 said:

What can we expect for weather from a transatlantic cruise in December? Advice on what to pack for clothes.

We did a TA cruise from Lisbon to New York in December 2022. It was wet at times, not super cold but not warm and sunny. It felt like maybe 60s during the day.