Would you have Virgin Voyages book flights and or pre and post stay hotels or do on your own

zumbaqueen1

I’ve always sorted our own or got travel agent to do it. Don’t think there is a huge benefit in VV doing it. VV only book two hotels in each homeport anyway and they are relatively expensive.

Edited by jon81uk
  • Like 1

I book on my own.  My first VV cruise, I got a flight quote from VV--higher than what I could get on line on my own. You can't book flights until 330 days before your return date.  Your travel agent MIGHT be willing to help, and there are lots of good sites on line.  If you are willing to spend a little more money, I'd strongly recommend what is variously called "Premium Economy" or "European Premium" depending on the airline.  Larger seats, more leg room, more recline.  This will only be available on the long haul portion of your flight; you'll be in normal economy for any short portion.   It costs about double the price of economy, but there are sometimes "deals."

For Barcelona hotels, decide what you want to do.  Are you going days early to see Barcelona or are you coming in one day early and just want to recover from jet lag?  We've done Barcelona many times, so mostly do a day before arrival now, and usually stay at either the Hotel Aerlpuerto by Melia or the Best Western Aeropuerto.  Both have in house restaurants.  Melia is a little nicer with better service and you can get food delivery to the hotel if desired (they no longer have it to the room; you must meet the delivery man in the lobby).  Less than a block away are 4 bus lines, but we don't normally go out.  Both have complimentary shuttles from the airport to the hotel, but check the hours for the shuttle (you can see this on line when you look up the hotel info).

If we come in early to do the city, we stay in one of the tourist areas like Las Ramblas or near La Sagrada Familia.  There are TONS of hotels in these area; you are limited only by what you want--anything from small, family run places to American style hotels.  You can take a taxi from the airport or use the public transportation system (cheaper, but a little confusing to first timers).

For coming home, you have lots of options.  Price flights round trip vs multi city or open gatch.  You might be able to get an inexpensive flight from Greece back to BCN and save a ton on flights that way...but you have to look for your dates.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would only take flights from a cruise line if they were free, and I didn't care about the flight itinerary.

Cruise lines contract with specific carriers only, and with low cost as the primary goal. You may find yourself making more connections, with less convenient departure times, than if you were given your own choice.

If I lacked confidence making these arrangements for myself, I would find someone working in the field who could make those arrangements for me.

Here's a relevant video from a chap I like and trust that describes what can go wrong when the cruise line arranges your flights. I recommend watching it through YouTube in order that you can read the notes accompanying it.

It greatly depends on the cruise line.  I made the mistake of doing those that "assigned" you--you have no choice and there was a "deviation" charge for each request you made (non-stop flight, departure in a given time period),  On other lines, Princess for example, we were able to view the flights they offered along with the prices and choose what we wanted.  BUT the problem still remained that we were booking thru a third party, rather than directly with the airline.  If there was a problem, if the airline canceled the flight or whatever, we had to go back to that third party whereas if you booked thru an airline and they cancel you, they will rebook you on something that will work for you at no additional. charge.  So even when the cruise line gave us a choice, it wasn't as good as booking on our own.  We've also seen "book thru the cruise line" prices that were higher than booking on our own!  Another cruise line stunt was "if you book air thru us, you have to stay at one of our participating hotels."

Bottom line, shop on your own first, then see what, if anything, the cruise line can do for you and decide.

• Like 1

Hello again,  

So if flying from East Coast USA to Barcelona.... and first time to Europe ... how long to recover from jet lag and tips on how to do this ....  realistic and we are a couple who are mid 50s and energy is good but being rested for the cruise is the goal.  Do you think it smartest to keep things simple and just arrive day ahead and rest or two days one to rest and other to expore Barcelona?

Thanks Mary

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zumbaqueen1 said:

Hello again,  

So if flying from East Coast USA to Barcelona.... and first time to Europe ... how long to recover from jet lag and tips on how to do this ....  realistic and we are a couple who are mid 50s and energy is good but being rested for the cruise is the goal.  Do you think it smartest to keep things simple and just arrive day ahead and rest or two days one to rest and other to expore Barcelona?

Thanks Mary

One day is not enough to see Barcelona, or to barely get a taste of it.  It really depends on how much vacation time and money you have.  We've been to BCN several times, so seeing the city is less of a priority.  For our next cruise, we will fly in the day before, stay at a hotel near the airport which has a complimentary shuttle, and go to sleep..but after a 14 hour trip, that's what we need.

If I only had one day to see the city, I'd do the HOHO bus. There are three different "loops" and the maps will show you what each visits and the various intersection points.  There is a narration so you will get a bit of understanding of where you are and what you are seeing.  If I had 5 days, I'd do things differently....If your question is whether Barcelona is worth a visit--definitely.  But what can work into your schedule and budget are things I can't answer.  In general, our logic is that if we are spending the time and effort on flying somewhere, we may as well stay as long as we can and enjoy the place.

• Like 1

Sound logic !  You had commented prior "Hotel Aerlpuerto by Melia or the Best Western Aeropuerto.  Both have in house restaurants.  Melia is a little nicer with better service and you can get food delivery to the hotel if desired (they no longer have it to the room; you must meet the delivery man in the lobby). "  that is appreciated.  Will this hotel hold  luggage or allow early check in if flight arrives in am? Thanks again!  Mary

1 hour ago, zumbaqueen1 said:

Hello again,  

Thanks Mary

I'll give you my tips, but this is very much a personal thing. I'm originally from the UK but have now lived in the US slightly more years than I lived there. For the last 20 years we've traveled to Aberdeen in Scotland at least once each year as we have a flat about an hour drive from there.

Look for a flight leaving the US as late in the evening as possible. From O'Hare there are 2 BA flights during busier months, one between 5-6pm and one around 9-10pm - we always go for the later flight. Have dinner before boarding, and as soon as you're allowed to kick back do so, mask on and ear plugs in, and try to get as much sleep as you can.

We always give ourselves 2 1/2 hours for our connection in Heathrow at an absolute minimum, I'd suggest the same at whichever airport you first land before connecting to Barcelona. We've learned that In T5 (which is where our BA flights all center around) there are subterranean walkways that you can take instead of the transit train to get from one concourse to another, we use that to walk as briskly as possible so as to convince ourselves we're awake even though our bodies think it's 4am. Once at Aberdeen I still need to drive a stick shift on the other side of narrow Scottish roads for an hour, and I'm usually holding up pretty well but my wife (11 years younger) is fading fast!

At our final destination we try to get outside - hopefully in sunshine if it's available. Walk around as much as we can trying to kick start our body clocks to the change. The goal is to stay awake until 9/10pm that first night. DO NOT NAP.

We take Melatonin with us as it's a controlled substance in many countries and cannot be purchased OTC, and I find it helps. Take as directed when going to bed.

Usually the first night goes pretty well as you're exhausted from not enough sleep the night before. Assuming you wake any time after 5am, get up and get going! Your body clock will want you to sleep, but you need to get moving and get some sunlight. I'm an early morning guy anyway, so this plays to my preferences.

Be as active as you can be during daylight hours, and avoid the temptation to sleep in after 7am or so - you're just prolonging the adjustment. Have a 1 hour nap around 2pm on your first full day if you want, but don't let it be any longer than that. Stay well hydrated, and perhaps be modest with alcohol that first day. Rinse and repeat!

I would never arrive the day of departure for a cruise, just asking for trouble as unreliable as flying has become. I'd prefer to tack days on to the beginning rather than the end, as those days are helping me adjust to the time shift and providing a buffer for travel issues.

Kevin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zumbaqueen1 said:

Sound logic !  You had commented prior "Hotel Aerlpuerto by Melia or the Best Western Aeropuerto.  Both have in house restaurants.  Melia is a little nicer with better service and you can get food delivery to the hotel if desired (they no longer have it to the room; you must meet the delivery man in the lobby). "  that is appreciated.  Will this hotel hold  luggage or allow early check in if flight arrives in am? Thanks again!  Mary

On our last cruise trip, Melia offered to hold our cruise luggage in their secure room so we didn't have to take it to our room!  That was super helpful. I had already packed my "cruise embarkation clothes" in my carry on just in case the luggage didn't arrive (which it did, but always having and extra outfit in the carry on makes sense to me.)  This makes me guess that they will hold luggage for an early arrival.  However, their complimentary shuttle doesn't start till after noon.  They will allow an early check in IF your room is ready. We've never asked about late check out.  We never arrive before noon as we are unable to get a direct flight to Barcelona....we have choices of many different layover spots in both the US and Europe.....we opt to do the long haul first, knowing that if the worst were to happen, we'd have a lot more options if we were in Europe already.

Best Western runs a morning shuttle but not evening--so you have transportation TO the airport as most of the time you'll need to arrive in the morning.  This makes them a good place for the day after a cruise as it is often difficult to get a late enough flight out on disembarkation day if returning to the US.  We were surprised on our last trip to find that NO food places would deliver to that hotel; no worries, the on site restaurant had burgers and fries.  After 2 weeks of cruise food, we didn't need another fancy dinner!  Another hint--there is a charge if you have them carry it to your room but not if you go down to the restaurant /bar and pick it up there!

We do as the above poster suggested--take a late afternoon/early evening flight out (I generally don't take the last flight of the day, again...building in those options) which gets us to our switch city in the morning.  With the layover and 1 1/2 to 2 hour flight to BCN, it is  late afternoon by the time we arrive.  This also, again, gives us options of later flights into BCN should something get messed up.  Then we stay up as long as possible, hopefully having gotten some sleep on the plane.  We set multiple alarms and request a wake up call for the next morning "just in case" and we are basically time adjusted and ready to go when we wake up.  No, we don't sleep late, but I don't do a 7am wake up either.  I'm normally up before the 10 am alarm.

I've never asked for a late check out at Melia....it would be nice, but has never worked for us at other hotels (the front desk has approved it but forgot to tell housekeeping....after the third knock on the door, we gave up).  So, at Melia, we just go down to the large, comfortable lobby and chill out for an hour or so before getting a taxi to the port.  It is about a 25 minute drive and our fare last time was 22 Euros (cheaper than the on line info said it would be!)

I'll be on the same cruise. There are plenty of Barcelona options, so I wouldn't use the cruise line, including lots of AirBnB type options that the cruise line wouldn't use. For flights, just wait and see what they can offer. Princess and Celebrity will give you flight options online, but it looks like you have to call VV, but I suppose you could ask for a quote. I'm taking Icelandair for my next two cruises to Europe from Seattle and Vancouver, because I like having two shorter flights and clearing Schengen zone in Iceland, quick and easy, and paying a bit more for an exit-row seat on their smaller planes. I don't think they fly to Athens, but on one flight I'm taking Easy Jet to London and then doing Icelandair from there. So I'd see what they offer and then try on your own. The advantage of cruise air is that they can combine different airlines and multi-city itineraries, whereas if you book on your own, you usually have to stick with a single airline or codeshare group to get a good fare.