NCL Breakaway Disembarkation in Civitavecchia - Train Return?

Hydro ergo

Hi Everyone,

We are planning to stay a couple extra nights in Rome after our cruise ends at Civitavecchia.  We are taking the train to port from Rome, and I'm hoping to do the same when we arrive back.  However, I'm trying to figure out the timing.  Sailing on Breakaway. 

When do we NEED to be out of our rooms? (we'll be carrying our own luggage)

When do we NEED to be off the ship?

What is the process like once you are off the ship? (ie-does it take long to clear customs? This is my first time sailing in Europe)

Are there any complications on the return to train, or is it the same as arriving? (ie--just work in reverse with a shuttle out of the port, then local bus to train station, finally train to Rome)

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

thank you!

NCL usually requires everyone debarking to be out of their room by about 8:30 and off the ship by 9:00 or 9:30.  We have sailed into Civitavecchia four or five times and have never had a major delay in getting through the terminal.  You can take a taxi from the pier to the railway station for about 15 Euros, or you can take the port shuttle from the pier to the main gate and a city bus from there to the train.  You’ll save a bit of money with the bus, but it’s a lot more hassle.  There are ticket kiosks at the station to speed the process.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Does NCL offer a transfer or excursion upon departure from the ship to Rome airport.

@laudergayle, yes they do.  However, since we aren't going to the airport that isn't an option for us.  

39 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

You can take a taxi from the pier to the railway station for about 15 Euros, or you can take the port shuttle from the pier to the main gate and a city bus from there to the train.  You’ll save a bit of money with the bus, but it’s a lot more hassle.  There are ticket kiosks at the station to speed the process

@The Traveling Man thank you!  This is very helpful.  Sounds like you have done it before.  Did you book train tickets in advance, or just when you arrived at the station?  I booked in advance for getting TO the port and I'm glad I did as almost all seats were taken.  Trying to decide if it makes sense to do that for the return...but I hate either getting stuck waiting around when we were out much earlier OR missing our train (eek).  

• Thanks 1

Just got back from a cruise that started and ended in Civitavecchia.  We took the trains going both ways.  We booked the faster, non-stop trains that allow for seat reservations--a little more expensive, but still cheap--try not to book a regional train as it is a free for all!  When we first arrived to Civitavecchia, we were walking towards the bus stop--bus was not there yet.  We were approached by numerous Taxi drivers that they would take us to the ship for the same cost.  The bus is 6euros/person.  Taxi was 6euros/person. It was a no brainer!  We took the taxi that took us right where we dropped off the luggage.  When it was time to return to Rome, it was a little confusing trying to figure out where to go--just keep walking past all the shuttle busses--at the very end there is the stop for the busses going to the station.  You cannot get a taxi as they want the longer, more expensive trips.  The busses fill quickly, and they drop you off at the station.  I made reservations in advance for the 9:16 train # 8601 Frecciabianca--we had no problem getting to the train on time (we docked at 6 or 7).  You do NOT go through customs of any kind--you will do this at the airport, so very easy to get off the ship.  If you have larger bags, there are elevators at the train station (didn't know about this 2 years ago!  LOL!  Had a hard time lugging stuff up and down the stairs).  In all, very easy to do and VERY inexpensive compared to the 100+euros to take a shuttle or taxi from/to Rome

• Thanks 2

@tsahall01, this is great, thank you!  What time did you get off the ship in order to catch your 916 train?  (if you remember)

We booked the Freccebianca for the way there and got the assigned seats which is what I'm hoping to do for the opposite direction, but want to make sure to have plenty of time.  

6 minutes ago, tsahall01 said:

When it was time to return to Rome, it was a little confusing trying to figure out where to go--just keep walking past all the shuttle busses--at the very end there is the stop for the busses going to the station.

Also with this---when you say to keep walking past the shuttle busses, do you mean the ones that would normally take passengers just outside the port area?  And then there is a bus that will actually take you to the train station (skipping the middle portion of the route where you need that city bus connection)?

I second the above advice to take the Freccia train to Rome.  These trains provide you with a specific seat number on a specific car.  They are worth the extra price.  But there are far fewer of them on any given day.  But I would still try to time your departure for one of them.  It would be worth sitting around somewhere and waiting for it if you need to.  The regular regional trains are smaller, have less luggage room and can be a zoo when it comes to finding a seat.  Let alone 2 or 3 seats together.  Far more stressful.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I second the above advice to take the Freccia train to Rome.  These trains provide you with a specific seat number on a specific car.  They are worth the extra price.  But there are far fewer of them on any given day.  But I would still try to time your departure for one of them.  It would be worth sitting around somewhere and waiting for it if you need to.  The regular regional trains are smaller, have less luggage room and can be a zoo when it comes to finding a seat.  Let alone 2 or 3 seats together.  Far more stressful.

Thanks @MeHeartCruising!  We've booked the Freccia on our way there.  It looks like the best one for the way back to Rome is at 916.  Do you remember about how long it took to get off the ship and over to the station?  I don't want to miss our train.  thank you so much!

8 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

Thanks @MeHeartCruising!  We've booked the Freccia on our way there.  It looks like the best one for the way back to Rome is at 916.  Do you remember about how long it took to get off the ship and over to the station?  I don't want to miss our train.  thank you so much!

Sorry, I've never disembarked in Rome.  I have only embarked.  My advice was from general knowledge.  In May when I embarked, from the train station directly to ship, there was a bus for 6 euros per person.  I assume this same shuttle service was running earlier in the morning for people who disembarked from the ship and needed to get to the train station, but I don't have absolute proof of that.  The ride between ship to station and vice versa would take about 10-15 minutes once moving.  There could be some delay as they wait for the bus to fill up.

Here is a link to the port's website about the shuttle bus service (with operating hours).

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/civitavecchia-train-station

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

@tsahall01, this is great, thank you!  What time did you get off the ship in order to catch your 916 train?  (if you remember)

We booked the Freccebianca for the way there and got the assigned seats which is what I'm hoping to do for the opposite direction, but want to make sure to have plenty of time.  

Also with this---when you say to keep walking past the shuttle busses, do you mean the ones that would normally take passengers just outside the port area?  And then there is a bus that will actually take you to the train station (skipping the middle portion of the route where you need that city bus connection)?

I think we got off around 8--I know we had plenty of time at the train station.  The buses I was referring to were various shuttle buses going to various places--you want the bus at the VERY END--we just asked and the people there were really helpful--we certainly weren't the only ones confused, although, being a blonde senior it didn't help!  LOL!  You only take the one bus--it takess you right to the train station.  Be sure to have exact change for the driver--they will only take euros--I saw lots of people with either no cash or only had dollars, so be sure to save out the euros for the bus!

Edited by tsahall01
  • Thanks 1

For a seamless transfer from the ship to train station, book your ticket from Civitavecchia Porto to whichever station in Rome.  Doing so, your ticket will INCLUDE the shuttle bus from the pier directly to the station.

A Frecci train is definitely the way to go.

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

For a seamless transfer from the ship to train station, book your ticket from Civitavecchia Porto to whichever station in Rome.  Doing so, your ticket will INCLUDE the shuttle bus from the pier directly to the station.

Thanks @mapleleaves!  We've done this on the way there, so that makes sense. But...from what @tsahall01said, it sounds like on the return there is a shuttle bus right from the port to the TRAIN station...or is there still that additional step needed to get the shuttle to the BUS station, then take the bus to the TRAIN and then on your way?

@Hydro ergo--just the one bus from the port directly to the train!  I just did a seach and what @mapleleaves says is true--you learn something new every day!  When doing your ticketing, put in Civitavecchia Porto to Roma Termini or wherever you are going--it will include the port shuttle bus so you don't have to buy a separate ticket for the bus!  I've always just put in Civitavecchia, did not even know that you could set it up this way.  BUT!  Going to the ship, I think I would much rather take the taxi directly to the ship instead of the shuttle bus--looks like it would be easier--the cost is exactly the same!

• Thanks 1

The BIG difference between going from Civitavecchia, vice going to, is the crowd!  When leaving from Rome the ship bound are dispersed throughout the morning. Whereas, you and your 4000+ fellow cruisers (plus all the additional ships in port) are all trying to get into town within a two hour window.  Can be a mad house - starting with the shuttle (last time I used there was no queue). As already mentioned - get reserved seats. Then be prepared for limited luggage space. Trains are not designed for every passenger having 2+ bags. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Girr said:

As already mentioned - get reserved seats.

Thank you! This definitely makes sense. I reserved our train tickets, with specific seats. I didn't make a shuttle reservation, should I do that? The one on Trenitalia's site only gave us five minutes to make the connection to our train and I would like to have more of a window than that! 

1 hour ago, Hydro ergo said:

Thank you! This definitely makes sense. I reserved our train tickets, with specific seats. I didn't make a shuttle reservation, should I do that? The one on Trenitalia's site only gave us five minutes to make the connection to our train and I would like to have more of a window than that! 

There is no shuttle bus reservations.  You line up as best you can (not everyone understands the concept of getting in a queue) and hope to get on the bus.  If you don't.  You wait for the next one.  They do have multiple buses running, but I'm not sure how many, and it will be impacted by how many ships in port at the time.  It is much like getting on a rental car shuttle bus at the airport.  Get on, find a place for your bags and hope for a seat.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Hm. I think that we have a few different things being discussed here. 

When you ARRIVE at the port from the train you need to do three things:

1. Train from Rome (or wherever) to Civitavecchia

2. City/Local bus (or taxi) to cruise port

3. Shuttle bus from port entry to your ship

What I'm trying to figure out is if that is the same on the reverse?

@tsahall01 said that it was just the one bus from the ship to the train station, which would combine #2/3 above.  But maybe there was a long walk from the ship to the city bus?

@mapleleavesmentioned getting the combined ticket that includes the city bus so that you get off the train and transfer directly to that bus without additional payment (you've already paid the $6 as part of your train ticket and transfer).  That's what I've done for the arrival, and expect to then take the port shuttle from the bus transfer point to the ship.

If going in reverse, I'm wondering about buying the city bus ticket from the port entry to the train station ahead of time.  Trenitalia website included the ticket for this trip with only a five minute transfer window.  I wasn't comfortable with that (getting from bus to train in five minutes and possibly missing my high-speed train to Rome).  So, I'm wondering if I should just wait and get the bus ticket at the station, or if I should book that ahead of time, just with a larger window between the bus arrival and train departure.  Does that make sense?  Or maybe I've completely lost the thought for the way back to the train...

Which Rome station are you going to?

Yes, there is a shuttle that goes directly from your ship to the Civi Station. This shuttle costs 6E and can be purchased online with the train ticket or you can pay the shuttle driver in cash.

Otherwise you can take the free Port Shuttle to the port entrance then catch the city bus to Civi Station.  OR, take the free Port Shuttle to th port entrance then walk to Civi Station; it's only 1 mile so 15-20 minutes. 

Edited by mapleleaves

@Hydro ergo--once off the train, you only need to catch the  bus--it will take you to the port--you have your bus ticket already included, so you must take the bus--again, it will take you to the port in the loading area of the ship--no need for another bus/taxi

Going the other way, you must also take the bus--the taxis cannot be bothered for such a short trip.  The bus will take you right to the train station--no other bus or taxi is needed.  The buses will run continuously, so you will have lots of options to go--they leave as soon as they fill up!

4 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Which Rome station are you going to?

@mapleleaves, we're going to Termini.  That part we have figured out! 🤣

Sounds like most people have had a different experience from each other, so I think we may just wing it once we get off the ship and make sure to give ourselves plenty of time to get from ship to Civi station...by some mode of wheeled transport! 😁

Thank you @insidecabin.  I think this clears things up a bit!  Do you know if you have pre-purchased tickets, does that let you skip the line? Or, does everyone just queue up regardless of ticket status?  My biggest worry is missing the time slot I guess...the way the trenitalia site is worded, it sounds like your ticket (even the port ticket for the $6) is only valid at a certain time...and if people get on that one that aren't ticketed for that time, are we out of luck?

I'm probably overthinking all of this, but I just hate the idea of missing our train.

thank you all again---the personal experiences are very helpful.

1 minute ago, Hydro ergo said:

Thank you @insidecabin.  I think this clears things up a bit!  Do you know if you have pre-purchased tickets, does that let you skip the line? Or, does everyone just queue up regardless of ticket status?  My biggest worry is missing the time slot I guess...the way the trenitalia site is worded, it sounds like your ticket (even the port ticket for the $6) is only valid at a certain time...and if people get on that one that aren't ticketed for that time, are we out of luck?

I'm probably overthinking all of this, but I just hate the idea of missing our train.

thank you all again---the personal experiences are very helpful.

Too long ago when we were there, might have changed(more organized).

Don't recall any way to pre-book the station bus.

It was chaos as a big line of buses some cruise line, some free and some station.

Once people worked out the station ones bags were loaded and they got on.

We were staying so got the free one that's when we discovered they had moved the exit stop away from the fort.

10 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

@mapleleaves, we're going to Termini.  That part we have figured out! 🤣

Sounds like most people have had a different experience from each other, so I think we may just wing it once we get off the ship and make sure to give ourselves plenty of time to get from ship to Civi station...by some mode of wheeled transport! 😁

The shuttle from the ship to train station was new this year so that is causing some confusion. 

Since you're already making this trip to BOARD the ship, the return trip will be more apparent.  And keep in mind that Civi station isn't huge. Scope it out when you arrive so that you're more comfortable with the layout for the next trip. Maybe ask the ticket counter person what platform is typically used for the 9:16 train to Termini. 

Trenitalia is assuming you want the 8:50 shuttle to catch the 9:16 train to Termini; which only leaves you 11 minutes to find and get to the platform. If that makes you nervous catch the 8:20 shuttle instead.  The driver just wants to see that you've paid for the shuttle; they don't care about the time. There is only one line for the shuttle. 

• Thanks 2