Timing of BA to Ushuaia and back

markandjie

Hi all - for those who have done the shorter Antarctica trips that include the charter from Buenos Aires... How does the timing work on all those flights? We're trying to squeeze in the Nov 17 sailing (https://www.seabourn.com/en/us/find-a-cruise/s3j10aan2/v364#cmp-itinerary) over our son's Thanksgiving break and trying to understand if we can actually make it work. A lot depends on when we need to get to BA and when we can fly back on the return leg. 

(And yes, after our Iceland saga we'll be booking air thru Seabourn in case things go sideways again!)

Thanks!

Fwiw, we are doing the 10 day Antarctica cruise on the Venture from Dec 10-20. So  while I would defer to others who have already done this, the charter flight information that we received from Seabourn has us scheduled from BA (the local airport AEP) at 7 am Dec 10, arriving Ushuaia at 10:38, and then departing Ushuaia at 11:38  on Dec 20, returning to BA  at 3:08 pm that day.

While I can’t find anywhere that tells me we return to EZE not AEP, my (third) SB consultant for this cruise assures me that that is the case. It isn’t documented in our reservation where she told me it was though so I am continuing to investigate.

(As an aside, I don’t know why it’s so difficult for SB to provide this info upfront, it should be on the original itinerary when the trip is booked to assist in planning. )

i hope this helps and like you I will continue to follow this thread in hopes that fellow travelers can reassure me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KathyL2537 said:

Fwiw, we are doing the 10 day Antarctica cruise on the Venture from Dec 10-20. So  while I would defer to others who have already done this, the charter flight information that we received from Seabourn has us scheduled from BA (the local airport AEP) at 7 am Dec 10, arriving Ushuaia at 10:38, and then departing Ushuaia at 11:38  on Dec 20, returning to BA  at 3:08 pm that day.

When did Seabourn inform you of the times of the flights to and from Ushuaia? We are travelling on the Nov. 28 cruise on Venture, and I have heard nothing from Seabourn regarding these flights.

I noticed when I first received a detailed itinerary from Seabourn that the flight to Ushuaia leaves from AEP but returns to EZE.  I asked my TA about this, and she said that the chartered flights depart from AEP because it’s closer to the hotel in BA. She said the flights from Ushuaia arrive in EZE because most passengers  (especially Americans) then fly home the same day (and therefore do not have to change airports).  Unfortunately, this doesn’t help us Brits as the direct flight to London leaves too early in the day to make it feasible; we must stay an extra night in BA.

• Thanks 1

Interesting. We got an email from Seabourn on Oct 4 with an attachment listing the charter flight days and times, but the flights were just to and from BA, with no specific airports provided and no info about luggage sizes and weight limits. Online, our “detailed” itinerary lists AEP as the departure airport, but says nothing about  the return one, it just ends with the ship arriving back in Ushuaia.

We booked the cruise directly through Seabourn and are not using FlightEase for travel to and from BA, so not sure if that is the difference. I appreciate the info that you noted about flights returning to EZE. It makes sense, we were there in March and AEP is definitely closer to the city than EZE. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth, here's the flight schedule that was provided to us recently for our Nov 28 cruise on the Pursuit. 

Depart BA at 9:30AM and arrive in Ushuaia at 1:08PM

On return leg, depart Ushuaia at 2:18PM and arrive in BA at 5:48PM. 

This was our experience from January, 2023, traveling from and back to the U.S.  We booked thru Flight Ease.  Landed in BA at 7:16am.  Thru customs, immigration and baggage collection in about on hour.  Met by local SB reps.  They directed us to an area to wait for more arriving pax.  Waited about an hour for more pax to arrive and and then on to a bus to the hotel and check in.  Rooms ready when we arrived.  Sent us downstairs for bus assignments and luggage tags with info about luggage and flights.  Left luggage outside hotel room ~11:00pm for pickup.  Buffett breakfast for the group around 5:30am next morning.  On bus by around 6:30am to AEP.  Our flight scheduled to leave AEP at 8:12 am but left about an hour later.  Luggage restrictions no different than what you expect on a regular flight.  No real weight restrictions.  Plane was a 767.

Return flight left Ushuaia at 12:30pm.  Arrived EZE at 4:00pm.  We had an 8:55pm out of EZE.  Those who had booked thru Flight Ease and who had time before their next flight were taken by bus to a nearby restaurant for a meal on SB with a SB rep.  Then taken back to EZE for our next flights.  

All very easy in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, plessite said:

For what it's worth, here's the flight schedule that was provided to us recently for our Nov 28 cruise on the Pursuit. 

Depart BA at 9:30AM and arrive in Ushuaia at 1:08PM

On return leg, depart Ushuaia at 2:18PM and arrive in BA at 5:48PM. 

Of course, it would be helpful to include the airports involved.  Since Buenos Aires has two commercial airports, located 30 miles apart.

9 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

Plane was a 767.

Curious about who operated the charter, as Aerolineas has never had 767s.

14 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Of course, it would be helpful to include the airports involved.  Since Buenos Aires has two commercial airports, located 30 miles apart.

It was Jetsmart Argentina.  

30 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I didn't include that because I'm not sure. Our flight information only says 'Buenos Aires', but looking at other comments and the cruise itinerary on the Seabourn booking page, it looks like it's AEP -> USH, USH -> EZE

It might be different in 2024, but we are doing Pursuit in Feb and were advised by Seabourn that there are 2 x flights down and back (return arr 3pm and 4pm “ish” haven’t got the paperwork with me) an hour apart. AEP (Jorge Newberry) being used in both directions. Our onward flight leaves at 6pm from EZE so will be staying an additional night. AEP suits the extra night.

Advised luggage limit is 34kg across max 2 checked cases.

I find it quite annoying there is so much different information when you supposedly get it from Seabourn direct. Will re-check ours.

We still can’t get confirmed hotel information for June 24 after Seabourn now ends our itinerary in Edinburgh rather than Oslo. It’s not great for planning a longer stay! Seabourn can be very slow.

I emailed Seabourn to ask about our flights to/from Ushuaia for our Venture voyage  in November.  It took three days to receive a reply, but I got one!

WJ  3901   AEP  - USH   28th of November 06:30A arrive 10:08A

WJ  3902   USH  - EZE   10th of December  11:38A arrive  03:08P

I dread to think what time we will have to wake up on 28 November to catch that 6.30am flight!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JMB56 said:

I emailed Seabourn to ask about our flights to/from Ushuaia for our Venture voyage  in November.  It took three days to receive a reply, but I got one!

I dread to think what time we will have to wake up on 28 November to catch that 6.30am flight!

we’re on the same cruise!

edit: Never mind! We’re on the Pursuit!

Edited by plessite

On 10/19/2023 at 7:17 PM, JMB56 said:

Agreed!  We have received the same, also on the Venture departing Nov 28th at 06:30 am. I hope this leaves us a bit of time to see some of Ushuaia to make up for the horrendously early start. Does anyone have suggestions for things to do in Ushuaia?

Just go for a walk around town - it’s not far from the ship and have a couple of Beagle beers. You won’t have too much time.
The shopping isn’t bad if that’s your thing or even window shopping. If you’ve left anything at home from memory there are quite a few outdoor stores - Nth Face etc.

We are still wearing butter soft leather shoes bought in Ushuaia - the Argentinians do excellent leather goods.

• Like 1

Note to cross check for 2024.

Seabourn has just confirmed to us our Feb 2024 charter flights are in and out of AEP which makes sense given they are domestic journeys. No timing yet as they haven’t been booked.

A transfer to EZE will be available but outbound flights should not be prior to 20:00. Hence we will be staying in town. The airport hotels don’t look that close nor does there seem to be much around them while waiting for a 18:00 next day departure.

We’ve done BA twice previously so will probably stay in Recoleta.