Am I being unreasonable?

amurray88

56 minutes ago, HMB1990 said:

As you can see, this room is not suitable to be made into a queen bed as the wall hanging pullmans will then obstruct you getting out the sides of the bed.  

I have looked at the video now.  Obviously it shows the room with the bunks in use rather than in the folded position.  I can confirm I have had one of this type of room on Azura and had the beds as a queen with no issue.  Yes there was an overhang but I was able to use either side of the bed and not crawl to the end.  This was room P319, in fact it remains one of my favourite rooms allocated on a saver fare and I have booked it subsequently by choice on select.

Azura's inside cabins are 15m2 (165ft2) and a quick look shows Britannia's insides as 15-16m2 (165-175ft2) so I cannot see that the set up I had would not work.  Incidentally the three cabins you mention in particular C316,317 etc are classed as larger insides and are the 16m2 ones. They are a different shape which gives the size difference.  If I recall from one my BIL had when you enter the door the dressing table is to one side and the room opens up for the bed to be on the wall to the other side.  They are a higher grade as you said.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

The Maritime law will be correct and no amount of discussion will allow that to be over ridden. For safety reason all persons regardless of age have to be allocated to a suitable cabin designated for that number of people. This is to do with life boat space allocation for one. As others have said the problem with Saver fares you don’t get to choose your exact requirements. You have to have what’s offered hence why people pay considerably more for the select option. 

Why would any child under 2 need a separate lifeboat space, in fact in rough seas it could be extremely dangerous for the child not to held safely in a parents arms.  Don't the idiots who write these rule books live in the real world?

Edited by terrierjohn

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Why would any child under 2 need a separate lifeboat space, in fact in rough seas it could be extremely dangerous for the child not to held safely in a parents arms.  Don't the idiots who write these rule books live in the real world?

Unfortunately this issue isn't going to be up for debate but it does go a long way to explaining the springing up of this type of question across the forum boards.  Unfortunately it is what it is.  The problem is the unwary self bookers can so easily fall into the trap, particularly with saver fares.  With the push for young families to be the new cruisers it would make a great deal of sense for saver family fares/cabins to not be bookable on line and only by direct telephone calls or via travel agents at least until the website can actually deal properly with the issue. At least the unwary could be in possession of proper information before deciding to part with their money.

The young lady is clearly very upset about the situation but all avenues now appear closed which is a sad state of affairs.  I must confess I'm surprised at the lack of help and understanding she appears to have received from P&O.  Hopefully a solution will be sorted once on board if she decides not to rebook.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HMB1990 said:

But it did allow me to choose my bed configuration. There are queen beds on this ship with roof pullmans. Which would be acceptable. There are also twin bed rooms that convert to queen with roof pullmans. Either of these types of rooms would work. There are also rooms on this ship with just 1 pullman. 

I would have purchased select plus if I couldn't get what I wanted, but I could. It is not may fault their system isn't working properly. Now I cant have the select plus as no rooms left to choose from. 

It didn't allow to choose a bed configuration. It allowed you to express a preference.

Also, what do you mean by select plus? Never come across that before.

Edited by FangedRose
  • Like 3

UPDATE - 

I have received a call from none other than Chris Lee's himself (CEO of Carnival Group UK Limited)

He has acknowledged that the bed 'preference' should not come up and allow you to choose, if in fact you cannot have it because you must have twins due to number of people in the cabin. 

Infants should not be calculated as people. 

The drinks package should not be charged automatically for infants, regardless of what the adult purchases. It is not fare to expect people to have to spend time at customer services on their holiday, to get a refund for something they should not have been charged for in the first place. How many unsuspecting people have paid for this and not noticed ? 

They acknowledged that their own t&c's and booking process should include information & warnings about not travelling when pregnant after 24 weeks, they tell you about not being allowed if you need oxygen etc etc never any mention of pregnancies. 

They have acknowledged staff should know p&o's own policy (I had 2 members of staff who didn't know the policy on pregnancy)

They acknowledged staff should not resort to 'sort it when on board' this just pushes the issue else where and to someone else.

They have acknowledged 2 x errors on their deck plans i.e. 3 rooms I identified as not fixed twins, they are saying are in fact fixed. 

They have acknowledged that staff should have noticed the issue with my room configuration and not automatically swapped it when they reached out. 

They have acknowledged the website should include a picture of a twin room, when it says your room may differ, but doesn't show you the different types/options. 

They have acknowledged that they shouldn't overturn their own safety rules on how beds should be configured (saying they will put our room as a queen, which it says it cant be, for safety reasons)

Whats the outcome. They've upgraded us to an obstructed view cabin above the smoking area. Obviously these cabins must not be that easy to sell, but hey ho, we got the queen bed. They didn't however make us pay an extra £500. 

When you consider what this cabin is selling for now, minus on board spending, these cabins cost only £200 more than what we have now paid. So not really a huge loss to p&o and seems not worth arguing over really. Should have been a no brainer for a customer service agent to have accepted our offer to pay to upgrade, rather than dragging this along. 

Anyways lesson learnt, I will be more careful next time. Even though I thought I was careful this time. It however has put me off cruising with p&o again. I have the other cruise booked on Iona of course. Looks like life as a new mum and holidays is causing such big headaches, I might still to land based all inclusive package holidays for a while. 

I want to say tank you for everyone's help and input, I did utilise some of it. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, HMB1990 said:

UPDATE - 

I have received a call from none other than Chris Lee's himself (CEO of Carnival Group UK Limited)

He has acknowledged that the bed 'preference' should not come up and allow you to choose, if in fact you cannot have it because you must have twins due to number of people in the cabin. 

The drinks package should not be charged automatically for infants, regardless of what the adult purchases. It is not fare to expect people to have to spend time at customer services on their holiday, to get a refund for something they should not have been charged for in the first place. How many unsuspecting people have paid for this and not noticed ? 

They acknowledged that their own t&c's and booking process should include information & warnings about not travelling when pregnant after 24 weeks, they tell you about not being allowed if you need oxygen etc etc never any mention of pregnancies. 

They have acknowledged staff should know p&o's own policy (I had 2 members of staff who didn't know the policy on pregnancy)

They acknowledged staff should not resort to 'sort it when on board' this just pushes the issue else where and to someone else.

They have acknowledged 2 x errors on their deck plans i.e. 3 rooms I identified as not fixed twins, they are saying are in fact fixed. 

They have acknowledged that staff should have noticed the issue with my room configuration and not automatically swapped it when they reached out. 

They have acknowledged the website should include a picture of a twin room, when it says your room may differ, but doesn't show you the different types/options. 

They have acknowledged that they shouldn't overturn their own safety rules on how beds should be configured (saying they will put our room as a queen, which it says it cant be, for safety reasons)

Whats the outcome. They've upgraded us to an obstructed view cabin above the smoking area. Obviously these cabins must not be that easy to sell, but hey ho, we got the queen bed. They didn't however make us pay an extra £500. 

When you consider what this cabin is selling for now, minus on board spending, these cabins cost only £200 more than what we have now paid. So not really a huge loss to p&o and seems not worth arguing over really. Should have been a no brainer for a customer service agent to have accepted our offer to pay to upgrade, rather than dragging this along. 

Anyways lesson learnt, I will be more careful next time. Even though I thought I was careful this time. It however has put me off cruising with p&o again. I have the other cruise booked on Iona of course. Looks like life as a new mum and holidays is causing such big headaches, I might still to land based all inclusive package holidays for a while. 

That sounds much better and more in line with the response from the CEO's office I had expected.  I assume you now have a new cabin number if they've told you where it is. Which cabin have they given you as a matter of interest?

Chris Lees is Carnival UK's Executive Vice President so I assume once you found the right route they took it seriously.  I'm very pleased for you.

I hope that you can put all the stress behind you now and look forward to your cruises.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HMB1990 said:

UPDATE - 

So glad to hear that rare commodity common sense has prevailed, but P&O really should not put you through all this hassle. It seems common these days that no one will take ownership of a problem and run with it, it would appear that brownie points are awarded for fobbing people off.

For P&O to contact the ship and be told that the problem can be resolved and say that pictures have been seen that confirm this then refuse to confirm this in writing or show the pictures only causes suspicion when you have been told many conflicting things.

I was aware that there were a very small number of cabins that are fixed twin bed on Ventura and Azura and that lower beds cannot be configured as a queen if the bed above is used, assumed that it was in case a person fell out of the upper bed and landed on the person below. But did not realise that it can be such a problem if the upper berths are not required and as others have said P&O are presenting themselves as cruising for families.

I hope that this does not put you off cruising. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

That sounds much better and more in line with the response from the CEO's office I had expected.  I assume you now have a new cabin number if they've told you where it is. Which cabin have they given you as a matter of interest?

Chris Lees is Carnival UK's Executive Vice President so I assume once you found the right route they took it seriously.  I'm very pleased for you.

I hope that you can put all the stress behind you now and look forward to your cruises.

They have given us G401. Which I think is above the glass house smoking area. It's an obstructed view cabin. But non of that is important to us. We just wanted comfortable sleeping arrangements. 

The advisor said that there should be no noise from below as apparently the glass house is quiet and the smoking shouldn't really affect us as the wind will simply blow it away. 

Thank you for your help. 

• Like 3

Not sure if the provided a picture but hopefully this is helpful

Incidentally I think Glass House is on the port side as I had an F deck cabin directly above the open area in 2022, if my recollection is correct you are on the other side.

BriBalG40-98643-1478535732.webp