The demise of late deals?

Megabear2

9 hours ago, crompton21 said:

For those newer to these boards....

Back in 2012 after the Costa Concordia incident when selling cruises was presumably quite hard, P&O came out with a price guarantee, along very similar lines of the price won't be cheaper and if it is we will refund the difference.

As those cruises approached sailing date, P&O invented a new type of fare (possibly the saver fare) and then stated that as it was a different fare the price guarantee didn't apply.

Please be aware that they have form with this sort of offer not being quite what it seems.

Yes I remember it well, The full price fares essentially brochure prices were called "Vantage" Fares the "promise protection" being "if the Vantage price reduces we will give you on board spending money or an upgrade to the value of the reduction".  The key word being "Vantage". As you say as sailings approached a new "Getaway fare" was introduced. People were not amused. We thought we had got them when the full fare on a cruise dropped, We contacted P&O regarding the extra OBC and were told the vantage fare was last year and we have a new fare which you booked under, this was probably the introduction of the "Select Fare".

In the modern parlance P&O have skin in the game.

• Like 2

To be fair to P&O this practice of promising discounts if you book early implying that prices can only rise then having a fire sail at the end is widespread. Not that it can be condoned. I had an offer from a river cruise operator that I used earlier in the summer, for a cruises in 2024 (2025 cruises not out yet). Save up to £1500 PP on a 15 day cruise, Priced one up the website proudly trumpeted a £1300 reduction PP plus £200 OBC PP the price being £4045 PP, I then looked at this year’s price for the same cruise same grade of cabin at same time of year £1995 PP sailing in ten days’ time.

The message is clear, unless it’s a bucket list holiday which usually supply and demand ensures that there is unlikely to be major price drop and historically it sells out, then wait to see what bargains are available one of two months before sailing, of course you may not secure a school holiday sailing or your favourite cabin. If this does not work out over the next couple of years we may return to booking at launch if we are still interested in cruising.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2023 at 7:20 PM, bee-ess said:

Have been looking at Caribbean for 25/26 and think that the launch prices are a bit too high, and a 10% deposit is a lot for cruises up to 2 and a half years away. They used to be 5% at launch.

But looking at availabilty it seems from trying a few dummy bookings that there are not a lot of cabins available to book online (unless they are holding cabins back). The 22 night TA in October 2025 on Arvia in particular does not have too many cabins available to book online .

Agree. I've just had a peek at a 2025 BC quote on our Arvia aft cabin we've booked for Caribbean 2024 (not long after launch) and its £1698 more with £410 less OBC, so a 35% increase.  There appears to be plenty of availability.

I know these are launch prices but frankly they're taking the mick -P&O are firmly into(and beyond) very well regarded land based all inclusive Caribbean prices there (top shelf drinks/ dreamy beach etc) the very market they're trying to win over. 

I expect to see a fair bit of softening on these prices in due course.  

Edited by doog442
  • Like 3