New to Holland America, please tell me about the dancing venues on Westerdam, any chance to do some ballroom dancing?

gam888

We are considering sailing on Westerdam next February to Asia. We enjoy doing some ballroom dancing. I watched some ship tour videos on Youtube and it seems to me that there is only one dance venue on the ship with a live band, the Rolling Stones Lounge. I presume the music played there would be mostly rock and roll. I would like to know if there is another lounge somewhere on the ship that offers a different type of music for dancing. If they would offer an hour of pre-recorded ballroom music somewhere if there is a space to accommodate this. Is there a lounge that has a DJ playing a variety of music? We have cruised with Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Cunard, NCL, MSC and Costa. We enjoy a ship that is mostly catered to adults, and onboard entertainment and food is very important to us. Please share any info on this ship. This being an older and smaller ship, I am seeing mixed reviews on the Cruise Critics forum. Any feedback is welcome. Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Used to be in Ocean Bar or Crows Nest (before conversion of EXC). You may want to speak with the CD when you board to see if they might arrange it if enough interest. Definitely not Rolling Stones Lounge unless during daytime if requested and arranged by activity staff. Doesn't hurt to ask. 

I am reminded of when Mrs Panky asked our parents during our 6th grade after school ballroom dancing classes, if she could teach us ..".the bop".  (Circa late 1950s)  

They said yes, my sister got permission to buy a 45 RPM of "Sheeboom". And the rest is dance history.  Hope you find a venue for real ball room dancing. It is/was a lot of fun, along with the bop. 

If you want ballroom dancing your best bet is Cunard. Some here may try to convince you there is sort of ballroom dancing on HAL but there just is not and there has not been for years. 

You can have a wonderful cruise with HAL but if one of your major expectations is ballroom dancing you will be sorely disappointed. 

• Like 1