Breakaway Dining

beentolong

New to the NCL boats, a couple questions.

Is there a difference between the Manhattan Room and Savour/Taste? Although it says no reservations are needed, we like eating in the same areas/times to get to know others around us and our waiters getting to know our preferences. Can you still reserve a daily time?

13 minutes ago, beentolong said:

New to the NCL boats, a couple questions.

Is there a difference between the Manhattan Room and Savour/Taste? Although it says no reservations are needed, we like eating in the same areas/times to get to know others around us and our waiters getting to know our preferences. Can you still reserve a daily time?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The three MDR serve the same menu. The Manhattan Room is the largest room and has live music on some nights. Taste and Savor are smaller dining rooms. 

Reservations only make your seating faster. You are not reserving a table or area or section or waiter. Everyone will be seated on a first-come-first-serve basis so other around you will be seated in different sections and different restaurants nightly. Waiters also work different restaurant sections nightly. 

You can check out some photos of the Breakaway from my live post from the ship last year. 

As Bird has noted, freestyle dining means you will be seated at whatever table, section, waiter is available, regardless of which MDR you choose. On our 10-day Joy cruise, we ate at the MDR 8-times and never had the same waiter twice. Nor did we recognize anyone around us.

Edited by IAcruising
  • Like 1

While there is no difference on the menus between the three restaurants, the Manhattan Room is larger and can therefore be a little louder. My wife and I generally prefer dining in the other rooms.

That said, I wouldn't exactly describe Savor or Taste as an intimate experience either.

I like to eat at basically the same thing each night so I made reservations. Sometimes I was told it would be a half hour or more wait until I said I had a reservation.

Like mentioned Manhattan room was quite loud, also hectic, and felt crowded with not very good service. Found Taste and Savor very low key and enjoyed both.

Also if you plan on eating at the Chinese place go sooner rather than later. We went first night and were seated right away. Tried to go again later in the cruise and it was told it would be over a 2 hour wait.

• Like 1

It's hit or miss on the service. On our very recent cruise, we ate in Savor one night and the service was very slow. Likewise we ate in the Manhattan Room another night and the service was great. Seems to be random as far as this goes based on previous comments.