Any news on the MDR upgrades?

Interestedcruisefan

To be honest I can perfectly see why P&O are taking this approach, because the fact that the 'pay' restaurants on board (Epicurian, Sindhu, Beach House, etc.) are frequently fully booked is a good indication that people *are* prepared to pay.

Now whether people are prepared to pay extra for better quality food in the MDR, as opposed to better food AND a better experience in the Epicurian, Sindhu, Beach House, etc. is a question the trial will answer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Britboys said:

No, I don't think they will be phasing out included meals in a mdr. What is however more of a possible issue is whether the mdr food budget will be deliberately cut, thereby (deliberately) lowering the quality with a view to getting more pax to stump up cash for the extra-charge items. It could also be possible that they could increase the number of extra-charge items at the expense of the number of included items. Of course, it would all be as a result of passenger feedback...

Or you will find that items which used to appear on the included MDR menu become chargeable, with eventually only the most basic fare being at no extra charge. The thin end of a potentially thick wedge.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

To be honest I can perfectly see why P&O are taking this approach, because the fact that the 'pay' restaurants on board (Epicurian, Sindhu, Beach House, etc.) are frequently fully booked is a good indication that people *are* prepared to pay.

Now whether people are prepared to pay extra for better quality food in the MDR, as opposed to better food AND a better experience in the Epicurian, Sindhu, Beach House, etc. is a question the trial will answer.

I would rather order this in MDR than have to go to Epicurean. They take far too long for me. I know some enjoy the faff so everyone could be accomodated

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill Y said:

Maybe P&O hopes socially that eating included food becomes stigmatised and people will be worried to be seen as cheapskates unless they eat in speciality restaurants or pay for these upgrades? The time to worry is when P&O keeps the included options for paupers and marks then on the menu with a P to avoid confusion.

Many a true word spoken in jest!

It is. I remember a few years ago when in response to the introduction of "select" - ie pay extra - restaurants someone suggested tongue in cheek (I hope!) that eventually only meals in the buffet would be included in the basic price, with everything else chargeable. Does not sound as far fetched now!

• Like 8

17 hours ago, happy v said:

I would rather order this in MDR than have to go to Epicurean. They take far too long for me. I know some enjoy the faff so everyone could be accomodated

I completely agree as the last time I used the Epicurean the service was just painfully slow. Sure you don't want to be rushed, but this went way beyond a pleasant space between courses.

Whereas the service in Sindhu was far better, but the trouble is the food recently has been 'dumbed down' and is nowhere near as interesting as it used to be.

17 hours ago, Denarius said:

It is. I remember a few years ago when in response to the introduction of "select" - ie pay extra - restaurants someone suggested tongue in cheek (I hope!) that eventually only meals in the buffet would be included in the basic price, with everything else chargeable. Does not sound as far fetched now!

It really wouldn't surprise me if some activities became chargeable, such as the theatre, the gym, the cinema, show bars, sea-day talks, etc. or more cynically offer them 'free' if you are a Select passenger and a fee payable if you are a Saver passenger - rather like the port shuttles.

17 hours ago, happy v said:

If these meals are to be specially prepared rather than plated those on shared tables may encounter some interesting experiences.  Normally out of politeness people wait for all to be served.  With supposed personal preparation the people eating the normal menu assumedly will get served at the same time as those ordering the special.

I'd be interested to hear from Ventura how that is being handled.  Obviously those in twos and with their own group won't be affected.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

If these meals are to be specially prepared rather than plated those on shared tables may encounter some interesting experiences.  Normally out of politeness people wait for all to be served.  With supposed personal preparation the people eating the normal menu assumedly will get served at the same time as those ordering the special.

I'd be interested to hear from Ventura how that is being handled.  Obviously those in twos and with their own group won't be affected.

Good point. We ask for a table for two because I like a starter and soup and feel embarrassed if people have to wait for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Another reason for me not to share. 

• Like 1

Got back from Ventura last week and the new extra charge items were available every evening in the Freedom dining restaurants. As someone said early on it was a loose page inside the menu.

Can't comment on whether it was good as we didn't try it.  Used the Glasshouse  it was good

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

The extras were available on Ventura back in November.  Everyone on my various shared tables thought it was a cheek that they were trying to charge for dishes which a couple of years ago, would have been on the normal MDR menu.  Only saw one person try one and they were not impressed.

Btw, it's the same dishes every night.  The "specials" menu does not change as far as I saw.

3 hours ago, BertieRulesOK said:

The extras were available on Ventura back in November.  Everyone on my various shared tables thought it was a cheek that they were trying to charge for dishes which a couple of years ago, would have been on the normal MDR menu.  Only saw one person try one and they were not impressed.

Btw, it's the same dishes every night.  The "specials" menu does not change as far as I saw.

Thats great fillet steak cooked rare available every night should I want it

Can't wait to take advantage!!

Not every night. But it beats the standard sirloin steaks they normally serve in there for sure

9 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Thats great fillet steak cooked rare available every night should I want it

Can't wait to take advantage!!

Not every night. But it beats the standard sirloin steaks they normally serve in there for sure

I had the fillet steak on Aurora a couple of months ago, and although more medium rare than the rare I asked for, it was well worth the supplement. I don’t think many ordered from this optional upgraded menu but in my opinion, it is a positive step forward in offering greater choice. 

• Like 2

Just now, pete14 said:

I had the fillet steak on Aurora a couple of months ago, and although more medium rare than the rare I asked for, it was well worth the supplement. I don’t think many ordered from this optional upgraded menu but in my opinion, it is a positive step forward in offering greater choice. 

I’ve learned that they seem to cook steaks ‘one up’ from what you ask for, so as I like mine medium I now ask for medium rare and every time since I’ve had a perfect medium steak 😂 

Having tried all 3 courses, whilst I didn’t rate the starter or dessert I’d order the main again, even at the £9.95 supplement.