Any news on the MDR upgrades?

Interestedcruisefan

For all those who have asked, this new menu is being trialled on Ventura…I don't think it is on any of the other ships at the moment. 
i have seen several comments that it is very nice…and worth the extra to have a “ Speciality meal” in the main dining room occasionally. You can have any combination of the starter, main and dessert…or all three for £14.95 (i think that was the price quoted’

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Mysticalmother said:

For all those who have asked, this new menu is being trialled on Ventura…I don't think it is on any of the other ships at the moment. 
i have seen several comments that it is very nice…and worth the extra to have a “ Speciality meal” in the main dining room occasionally. You can have any combination of the starter, main and dessert…or all three for £14.95 (i think that was the price quoted’

Excellent

My wife and I hope to get the opportunity to try this. I hope the trial is positive

We would probably try all 3 courses between us and mix and match with each other and other MDR standard courses

Sounds a fun addition to MDR IMO

Does anyone know where the link to the choices was?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

Found it (previously posted by Jeanie Aston

P&O have introduced a new Signature Menu to the MDR, which is chargeable

'yes it began on Ventura at the beginning of September to give guests even more choice in the MDR and has so far proved very popular. Dishes include Cornish crab rillettes with dressed lobster claw, gruyere sable biscuit and bloody Mary cream; fillet of dry aged Foyle beef with truffled potatoes, pickled mushrooms, asparagus and madeira jus and Valrhona chocolate tart with banana and lime pureee, caramelised cocoa nibs and banana gelato'

£14.95 a head seems quite good to me, and they're not altering the existing menus?

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Excellent

My wife and I hope to get the opportunity to try this. I hope the trial is positive

We would probably try all 3 courses between us and mix and match with each other and other MDR standard main course

Sounds fun

Does anyone know where the link to the choices was?

Hope this works…never had much success in uploading photos to CC! 

IMG_6261.jpeg

• Thanks 5

Note above MB

The accompaniments are matched to the meal

And the fillet  is pan roasted 

That means we will be able to order how we would like It cooked

My wife would love that starter

I would have the main

The dessert we would both share. Alongside normal MDR courses at same time.

That's a great quality option for special occasions or just a change in MDR

No need for anyone to fear it IMO

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Note above MB

Why so personal? I couldn't give a hoot to be honest, I stated my view that people could get a meal elsewhere onboard for less money.   Others have stated their opinion too. This thread isn't the ICF and Megabear show.  

I'm glad you'd love it, personally I won't be trying it. My choice just the same as I choose to sail other lines.

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Why so personal? I couldn't give a hoot to be honest, I stated my view that people could get a meal elsewhere onboard for less money.   Others have stated their opinion too. This thread isn't the ICF and Megabear show.  

I'm glad you'd love it, personally I won't be trying it. My choice just the same as I choose to sail other lines.

I wasn't being personal?

Ps you were personally sending me to Grimsby 2 posts earlier! Lol

Just showing it is fillet steak cooked to order with special accompaniments. 

Which you didn't think it could be?

You can't get these courses at Beach House. 

Only Epicurean. Or Limelight for higher cost.

And obviously they get sold out.

So this does has a place on board. If the trial works IMO

I will be surprised if this is not successful based on how successful Epicurean is 

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Now I am confused and bemused. The  thread was started by asking a question about the P&O trial, so Cunard is irrelevant. 🤣

Zap let's me and you get this thread back on topic between us

Do you like the idea of being able to pay for gourmet fillet steak meals in MDR on special occasions or not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Why does it have to be at the detriment of non chargeable options?

Fillet steak is NOT a non chargeable option on P and O standard MDR menus?

Nobody loses anything. Some gain?

What's wrong with that?

We stay in a good few hotels in the UK. Half board often includes a set menu with extra cost premium items, so no problem if P&O do the same in the MDR.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Why does it have to be at the detriment of non chargeable options?

Fillet steak is NOT a non chargeable option on P and O standard MDR menus?

Nobody loses anything. Some gain?

What's wrong with that?

If you want to eat high cost food, why would you waste it on the MDR with its noise and busy waiters without the time to chat and discuss the menu options, surely it's best enjoyed in the Epicurean or eqivalent.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you want to eat high cost food, why would you waste it on the MDR with its noise and busy waiters without the time to chat and discuss the menu options, surely it's best enjoyed in the Epicurean or eqivalent.

But you would miss out on dining with all those interesting folk discussing the quality of the green beans and the good old days.🤣

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

But you would miss out on dining with all those interesting folk discussing the quality of the green beans and the good old days.🤣

Has the P&O buyer been out seeking extras to serve on his upgraded menu?  Australia is in disarray over green beans ...

Insane $40 price for green beans shocks internet

As the cost of fresh produce continues to increase, the price for a very common vegetable has sparked outrage and confusion.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Mysticalmother said:

Thank you. It’s taken 103 posts, but finally someone has answered the question 😂 

We are on Ventura for two weeks from Saturday. We have booked far less speciality restaurant visits than usual, as we found them to be patchy on Britannia, whereas the MDR was very good. I shall be sure to try all the extra cost speciality items at least once (purely for research purposes you understand) and shall report back on how I find them. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

With photos please!!

Lol

Also please ask the staff how popular they are

Just up early or at the airport yet, ICF?  Will be interesting to hear if Selbourne as someone who enjoys good food thinks these extras are good value.  It's not the provision of them I doubt, it's the quality and cost.

• Like 1

Are P&O seeking to phase out the current inclusion of meals in the MDR being included in the price paid for the cruise by introducing this “up sell” option to increase profits. Are they following airlines who once provided a meal included in the price of the air (yes the quality was questionable in economy), that dropped to a snack, then food and drink became a payable option. 

What next charging for items of baggage brought onboard, a charge for the theatre etc, removal of OBC.  I am sure P&O accountants are looking new wheezes to extract more money out of cruisers in order to maximise profits. 

Are these upsell menu options the slippery slope for charging for all meals in the MDR in the long run? 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Are P&O seeking to phase out the current inclusion of meals in the MDR being included in the price paid for the cruise by introducing this “up sell” option to increase profits. Are they following airlines who once provided a meal included in the price of the air (yes the quality was questionable in economy), that dropped to a snack, then food and drink became a payable option. 

What next charging for items of baggage brought onboard, a charge for the theatre etc, removal of OBC.  I am sure P&O accountants are looking new wheezes to extract more money out of cruisers in order to maximise profits. 

Are these upsell menu options the slippery slope for charging for all meals in the MDR in the long run? 

We have noticed the nickel and diming as our friends across the pond affectionately refer to it however P&O are well behind most main stream cruise lines for doing this. At the end of the day these are businesses and want to make as much profit as possible and now with more accountants running businesses or having greater influence they see things differently compared to some of the managers of old. I am sure lots of us have seen this in our workplaces.

We as customers have the options as to whether we cruise with them, and I think the general answer is that lots of us do. We were unfortunate enough to get a shared breakfast table with some of the Aurora appreciation society some mornings and talk about moan, especially as some of them had been on for months, downsize this cutback that, oh and we need to hurry as the future cruise desk opened at 08:00 and although the cruises were the same as last year we have seen some we must book. I did feel Mrs YP's toe against my shin a few times. But my favourite was that at breakfast the butter was cut into small cubes as opposed to the small patties that come with dinner.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

No, I don't think they will be phasing out included meals in a mdr. What is however more of a possible issue is whether the mdr food budget will be deliberately cut, thereby (deliberately) lowering the quality with a view to getting more pax to stump up cash for the extra-charge items. It could also be possible that they could increase the number of extra-charge items at the expense of the number of included items. Of course, it would all be as a result of passenger feedback...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Bin man said:

In response to #142 .I asked the same question  on the trial in the mdr .We were on Ventura 2 weeks ago never saw anything about it. We we're 6.30 club dinning 

That’s interesting. Maybe it was a flop and they’ve ditched it already? Shame as I quite fancied trying it. All courses sounded very nice. Out of interest, how did you find the food in the MDR (apologies if you’ve already addressed this elsewhere)? 

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thank you. It’s taken 103 posts, but finally someone has answered the question 😂 

We are on Ventura for two weeks from Saturday. We have booked far less speciality restaurant visits than usual, as we found them to be patchy on Britannia, whereas the MDR was very good. I shall be sure to try all the extra cost speciality items at least once (purely for research purposes you understand) and shall report back on how I find them. 

Apologies…I only got  back from a 3 week cruise on Aurora on Sunday! Just catching up! 
i understand from my friend that the menu is a loose insert in the main menu…ignored by many! She indicated it was there every night 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In response to #152 We found mdr food good choice .For us was acceptable and the veg was cooked perfectly for once never undercooked or hard and was different most nights .Even the broccoli was good .We used the mdr on fixed club dinning 6.30 table for 2 was excellent location 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Maybe P&O hopes socially that eating included food becomes stigmatised and people will be worried to be seen as cheapskates unless they eat in speciality restaurants or pay for these upgrades? The time to worry is when P&O keeps the included options for paupers and marks then on the menu with a P to avoid confusion.

Many a true word spoken in jest!

Edited by Bill Y

18 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Maybe P&O hopes socially that eating included food becomes stigmatised and people will be worried to be seen as cheapskates unless they eat in speciality restaurants or pay for these upgrades? The time to worry is when P&O keeps the included options for paupers and marks then on the menu with a P to avoid confusion.

Many a true word spoken in jest!

Now I know what my "P" stands for, pauper is just about right with the new solo fares!

• Haha 1