Queen Mary 2 Deck 4 Cabins

bhambamacruiser

I'm planning my Mom's 80th birthday trip to Ireland. She wants to return home on a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York. My research shows the port side of the ship is the best side to enjoy the view of the Statue of Liberty upon our arrival in the New York harbor. We are considering booking two sheltered balcony mid-ship cabins. Deck 5 is our preferred location, but port mid-ship seems to be booked. I see adjoining cabins on Deck 4 located above Sir Samuels. The cabins are 4104 and 4106. The other cabins I'm considering are 4110 and 4112. I know Deck 4 is directly over some of the public spaces and want to find cabins that are located in a quiet area.

1. Has anyone sailed in one of these cabins on Deck 4? If so, did you experience any or much noise from Sir Samuels?

2. Is it worth it to be port side on arrival in NYC harbor? How early do you typically arrive? I don't see my mother getting up and dressed in the early hours to make her way up on deck to enjoy the view. That is why I'm considering a cabin that allows her the convenience of seeing the view from her balcony. If not worth it, then there are starboard side cabins on Deck 5 I want to consider.

Thank you for the feedback!

I had 4114 on a T A and it was a brilliant location.Best location I have had.  So handy for Britannia Restaurant and the theatre. I don’t remember hearing any noise from Sir Samuel’s to be honest it was only really busy in the day time and I would not have said they were a noisy crowd . I did go and watch the sail in from observation deck so couldn’t comment on what she could see from balcony. It was also nice a low as the wind was exceptionally lively going over. Throughly recommend either of the choices you have. In August sail by started at 5 30 I think we were alongside by 6 15 

Edited by Winifred 22

Stick with port side if views of Statue of Liberty are a priority. With no delays, QM2 sails into NY harbor ~4am. Pls someone correct me if I’m off on that. 
Sir Samuel’s is a coffee lounge so I wouldn’t be too concerned with noise. Deck 6 is more problematic under the deck 7 Promenade. 
Also, port side gives you the southern exposure during the Crossing, nice to have a bit of sun for the sheltered balcony. 
We did have a delay coming in this June so here’s a view of Statue around 2pm. Canadian wildfire smoke was very present that day.   Enjoy!IMG_3447.thumb.jpeg.619b709cafad5cac633f576a57d6c1c5.jpeg

1 hour ago, bhambamacruiser said:

Is it worth it to be port side on arrival in NYC harbor? How early do you typically arrive?

On June 5th 2022 we were in a starboard cabin. QM2 turns round before berthing. I took my first photo of the statue at 3:55am in darkness. The one taken at 6am was somewhat better. I've since realised that the sensors in both the phone and zoom camera I had with me are too small to get decent images in low light.

There was also quite a bit of vibration with the bow thrusters being used to manoeuvre.

2022-06-0503-55-04960.thumb.jpg.0b92b4fe47a522e36cd604e2ed1047ce.jpg

2022-06-0506-02-23-P1040724.thumb.JPG.4fa227255b2f177924dca9e251e31278.JPG

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, D&N said:

On June 5th 2022 we were in a starboard cabin. QM2 turns round before berthing. I took my first photo of the statue at 3:55am in darkness. The one taken at 6am was somewhat better. I've since realised that the sensors in both the phone and zoom camera I had with me are too small to get decent images in low light.

There was also quite a bit of vibration with the bow thrusters being used to manoeuvre.

2022-06-0503-55-04960.thumb.jpg.0b92b4fe47a522e36cd604e2ed1047ce.jpg

2022-06-0506-02-23-P1040724.thumb.JPG.4fa227255b2f177924dca9e251e31278.JPG

This is a good point, your mother will get a daytime view of the Statue from her cabin when QM2 docks because the starboard side will face the Statue. But the Red Hook dock and the Statue are on opposite ends of the harbor. (See @D&N’s above first picture for idea of distance). 
However, if she wants the Godfather 2/immigrant experience of sailing into NY harbor past the Statue and wants to a view that from her sheltered balcony, then choose a port side cabin. It will most likely be in the dark but Lady Liberty is lit up at night. You both can hopefully go back to sleep again after passing the sighs. 
Choices, choices!

• Like 2

Thanks to each of you for your feedback and supporting images! This trip and the TA crossing is the last of my Mom's bucket lists trips. We've worked hard the past seven years to make her top five trips a reality. I am working hard to make this trip special. Your input helps me back a good decision for Mom. We are currently booked on an eastbound crossing, but we are changing our TA direction to accommodate our Ireland tour dates. Again, thanks for the timely response to my inquiry!

• Like 5