Gangway on Nova for mobility impaired

voyager1964

I am contemplating a NZ cruise on Nova in December 2024. The itinerary is just perfect for what I am looking for, and there are no tender ports. However, my wife has mobility limitations so that she cannot negotiate stairs. Whereas she is not a fulltime wheelchair user, we usually request wheelchair assistance for her to embark/disembark the ship.

Our only "small" ship experience was a recent trip on Azamara Pursuit in Europe. They alternated between a relatively flat gangway connected to the Port's elevator and a long and steep gangway with stairs. For the latter, the crew would need to manually lift her with the wheelchair, which was a terrifying experience. So much so that she had to stay on board in Bordeaux and Lisbon..

I wonder what sort of a gangway can we expect on Nova? Would it have stairs making the wheelchair impassable? 

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by voyager1964
edit

In our experience the SilverSea crew are excellent at the care of mobility impaired people. 
I take particular interest in this as my future eventually will be the same .

On our Dawn and Moon cruises in the Mediterranean they often took wheelchairs off from deck 3 when they had the stairs from deck 5. Same on the Muse except one day when low tide meant deck 3 was below the level of the dock.

Even on the Explorer in the past they could get wheelchair passengers into and out of zodiacs. Even to treks through the jungle where they accessed a Sedan chair so a 95 year old could see the Pygmy village. She was wheelchair bound. Determined to make another trip from her bucket list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, drron29 said:

the SilverSea crew are excellent at the care of mobility impaired people

22 hours ago, drron29 said:

they often took wheelchairs off from deck 3 when they had the stairs from deck 5.

Certainly, Azamara never offered an additional entry on a different deck to solve the mobility problem. However, whenever such an additional entry is not available/possible, we still have a sloped/often steep gangway. Does Nova;s gangway have stairs? If it does, the only way the crew can help is by lifting the passenger in the wheelchair and carrying them above the gangway. Now imagine typical not-so-strong crew and a 250+lb passenger 😞

So my question is: Is Nova using a flat-surface gangway (along which a wheelchair can be pushed) or a gangway with stairs?

Edited by voyager1964
edit

I have not sailed on the Nova but the other Silversea ships have a gangway with steps.

However in Australia and NZ we don’t have a large tidal difference so very likely that the lower deck could be used. In December we do have higher high tides but the problem with the lower deck access is usually when a very low tide means that the lower deck entry is below the dock so can’t be used. Again on the other ships a high tide means a slightly sloped gangway with out stairs.

However if you do book the cruise definitely let the crew know your needs and make sure they will allow the lower deck access.

• Thanks 1

We’re on the Nova right now, and unless the gangway is level, or close to level with the dock, it has stairs . Be aware that you may be level with the dock when you leave on a tour, but the tide may change the location on return. 

Edited by fdnycruiser
Additional information
  • Thanks 1