New port for NCL

upnaway112

20 hours ago, upnaway112 said:

NCL decided to changed our port in the Dominican Republic from Puerto Plata to Cabo Rojo and Catalina Island. Does anyone have any recommendations for these 2 ports? Going in January

They changed 2 ports ? Are they listed as tender ports ?

What ship are you on ?

• 1 month later...

Cabo Rojo is a brand new port right outside the city of Pedernales.  It is a regular port, so no a tender.  However, because it's new, there's not much at the actual port.  Pedernales is only 20 minutes away, and it is worth visiting. Also, Bahia Las Aguila beach is 10 minutes away, which is considered the most beautiful beach in DR with wonderful restaurants and bars.

9 hours ago, CrGuy said:

Cabo Rojo is a brand new port right outside the city of Pedernales.  It is a regular port, so no a tender.  However, because it's new, there's not much at the actual port.  Pedernales is only 20 minutes away, and it is worth visiting. Also, Bahia Las Aguila beach is 10 minutes away, which is considered the most beautiful beach in DR with wonderful restaurants and bars.

Not being sarcastic @CrGuy but what would you say makes Perdernales worth visiting?

We’re on the Sky porting at Cabo Rojo on 27 Nov and I am finding it difficult to obtain info, and especially hard to find alternatives to the IMO rather pricy NCL excursions of $120-150 for 4 hours (1 beach break at only $80). We’re in port from 8 to 3.

We like snorkeling, so were hoping to find a way to do that as long as it’s not with a crazy packed cruise ship excursion that dumps you off in the water regardless of swimming ability. My husband and travel friends did that once on our first cruise (incidentally on the NCL Sky) and it was crazy - too choppy, people puking up all over the packed boat, 30 minutes in the water to “ snorkel”. The excursion should have either gone to a different area ( calm waters were available for other excursions) or cancelled. Didn’t know they were taking the boat out to an area with rough seas. On the other hand I went on a different non-ship adventure and the waters were beautifully flat. So I’m skeptical about being crammed onto a boat packed to maximize cash flow, and will go out regardless of water conditions. 

But if you have any leads for private guides….. I’d appreciate your sharing the info!

• 4 weeks later...

You are in for a treat! If you are coming to Cabo Rojo, you will be one of the first to experience it in this way. For travelers before you, it was a 6-hour, nail-biting drive from the airport. Bahia de Las Aguilas is indeed one of the best beaches in the Dominican Republic. However, keep in mind it's a virgin beach in a natural park. It's not built up like other places. In fact, the entire area is not built up...yet. There are major plans in the works. 

We have lived in the south of the Dominican Republic for 8 years and started a travel blog that focuses on the southwest. Check out the article about Cabo Rojo: https://www.cliffandcove.com/blog/cabo-rojo

I'm currently doing research and confirming local tour guides in the Cabo Rojo area. We will be posting an article soon that will break down all of the land excursions offered by Norwegian vs some DIY options. Make sure to subscribe to get notified of when that gets published. Happy cruising!

There is one building open for shopping. Others in progress. They were so grateful to have us there. We took ship excursions to Eco Del Mar Beach after Baby Beach got cancelled. Free drinks. Food to purchase. Beach chairs, umbrellas and shade. Water was beautiful though a little bit of rocks when we first got in. Would recommend! Give them 5 years and this place will be amazing! Lots of hotels planned as well

That is great to hear! This project has been underway for a while, but you are right, it still needs time. Hopefully, long before 5 years, the port and excursions will be ready at least. Bahia de Las Aguilas is a short drive or boat ride away and is incredible! 

Enjoy your cruise and hope you come back to the southwest region of the Dominican Republic soon! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello! We completed our comprehensive guide to excursions at the new Cabo Rojo port in the south of the Dominican Republic. Check it out here.

We have broken down all of the ship-provided excursions and are sharing local guide options as well. Figure out which excursions are best for you and your friends/family! 

Holland Cruise Lines has a ship porting there on April 8th! Happy cruising! 

Cabo Rojo Port.png

• Thanks 1

I was on the first cruise ship to go to Cabo Rojo on the NCL Pearl on January 4, 2024. They were so excited to welcome us. It bought tears to my eyes to think of the years of planning in making this a reality for them. It was a much needed boost to their economy. It is still a work in progress but give them a little time. We took an excursion to a beach ( don’t remember which one) and passed signs for as many as 13 planned hotels. As nice as the beach was when we returned they took us through the beach area right by the dock. Next time I want to go there! Can’t wait to go back!

• Like 1