Luggage drop off time at Southampton terminal

MagnoliaBlossom

When we sailed from SH last year we were given  a 9:30 checkin time.  We are carryon only travelers so we just went into the terminal.  But those who needed to check luggage had to wait in line for the porters, who did not turn up until 10:30.  We will be travelling with family and they will be checking bags.  I am wondering if any recent cruisers can tell me if bagge is indeed not accepted until 10:30 or if that has been corrected.

thanks, MB

Horizon has been pretty decent for bag drop opening for MSC and NCL.

10am has been fine for our trips this year.

Security determine when the terminal can be used.

They have started at 10am letting people through for our MSC trip

Last NCL we were later they had been going for a while at 10:45(bag drop then park) security line full 11:10 took 15min to get to check-in.

Sometimes other terminals have been used and never got bag drop before 10:30.

I monitor the roll calls, live from and FB for upto date information on traffic and terminal congestion to adapt timing.

We have stayed in town when everything has backed up.

Oct 1, 2023  We arrived at 12:30pm and there were no porters. There was a giant pile of luggage with a lovely lady providing tags to those who were without and that was it.

Our driver was not allowed near the terminal where the bags were piled; we were dropped off at the end of a very long but well-mannered line, dragged our cases to the pile ( it was an actual pile by this point) and trotted back to the end of the line.

Our embarkation was probably the most disorganized of all our 86 cruises.  There was a very large number of check in agents who were new and needed extensive help from the supervisor to finish the process - I think my lady took 35 minutes to do mine.  Then when priority was called we went up and the lady said platinums went before diamonds.  I told her no ambassador and diamonds went before, even her supervisor said they had never heard of ambassadors , diamonds or emerald.  She did allow us through but it was crazy.  The ground crew needs some training.  Hopefully things have improved since then.  We are so looking forward to this cruise with our teenage grandchildren and want to get the trip off to a good start.

thank you all for your input.

For My NCL cruise out of Southampton about a year ago, it was not really a specific time that they started taking bags.  They started taking them after they completed the unloading and organizing process of the luggage from the disembarking cruise earlier that morning.  When they finished that, they took a work break.  After that, they came out and opened the luggage doors.  It was somewhere around 10:15-10:30 am.

My checkin process was fast and efficient.  However, when it came time to board, there was no loudspeaker system that could be heard.  Just one person’s voice announcing something.  The doors opened and the crowd stormed the gates.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising