LGBT on Viking

Johannaj

Although Viking does not have a specific program for LGBT people, it's possible to set up an interest group while on one of their cruises.  Just go to the assistance desk and tell them you'd like to set up a meeting.  The people at the assistance desk can help by suggestiing the best time and place and will put a notice in the Viking Daily.

All that said, the one time I did this we (two senior lesbians) did meet up with a couple of gay guys with whom we are stil in contact.  There was also a fellow who thought it was an AA meeting.  I'm not sure he ever figured it out!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 5:32 PM, waldorf said:

We’re sailing with Viking in February so we’ll see how it is. 

Wow - you have sailed a lot of cruise lines.

We have now done 10 Viking Cruises, and although I would say that the demographic and the marketing material is not focused on drawing the 2SLGBTQ+ community, we have never sailed - river or ocean - without seeing other gay couples.

We sail Viking for the experience that they offer which is very different from some of the more mass market and large ship cruise lines.  You will immediately see a difference for many reasons.

What ship and itinerary are you sailing?

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Wow - you have sailed a lot of cruise lines.

We have now done 10 Viking Cruises, and although I would say that the demographic and the marketing material is not focused on drawing the 2SLGBTQ+ community, we have never sailed - river or ocean - without seeing other gay couples.

We sail Viking for the experience that they offer which is very different from some of the more mass market and large ship cruise lines.  You will immediately see a difference for many reasons.

What ship and itinerary are you sailing?

We’re joining Orion in Auckland and disembarking in Bali. We’re really looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, we’re on the Orion, heading for Melbourne. There are indeed some other gay passengers on board but overall the passengers are quite a bit older than we were expecting. The ship is pretty dead after 10pm. The age profile may change when new passengers join us in Sydney, I hope so anyway 😁

You can go to the cruise director and arrange a get-together for gay passengers.  We did that on a cruise a few years ago.  We ended up with 5 people - a lesbian couple, a gay couple, and one fellow who thought it was an AA meeting!  I'm not sure the AA fellow ever figured it out.  On the plus side, I still correspond with the two gay men.  And, waldorf, don't exclude those seniors - most of them are still very active - even hip.

6 hours ago, waldorf said:

Well, we’re on the Orion, heading for Melbourne. There are indeed some other gay passengers on board but overall the passengers are quite a bit older than we were expecting. The ship is pretty dead after 10pm. The age profile may change when new passengers join us in Sydney, I hope so anyway 😁

Viking does tend to be an older demographic, however we are starting to see that change over the years now that we have sailed with Viking.  We are especially seeing a much younger age coming on the River Cruises now.

Surprised that you are seeing activity up to 10pm!  Haha.

We have experienced the Explorer Lounge dead every night at 8pm and some cruises that it was "rocking" by Viking standards much later.

Viking is quiet everywhere after the Star Theatre show for the night. 

We are good with this because we exhaust ourselves during the day with excursions and going back into the city or town, and by the end of dinner and the show, we are ready for bed to rest for the next day.  

We are on a Viking cruise for the destinations and not for entertainment in the evening.

6 hours ago, waldorf said:

You say you are picking up new passengers in Sydney? 

Are you on a segment of a world cruise?  Or a segment of a 45 or 90 day cruise?

You will find the demographics on these cruises - IMO - to be older because the younger are working and are not able to commit to long cruise itineraries like that.

11 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

You say you are picking up new passengers in Sydney? 

Are you on a segment of a world cruise?  Or a segment of a 45 or 90 day cruise?

You will find the demographics on these cruises - IMO - to be older because the younger are working and are not able to commit to long cruise itineraries like that.

Some are on a 93 day trip, we’re on for 31 days, Auckland to Bali but many are getting off in Sydney & no doubt new passengers joining us. 

1 minute ago, waldorf said:

Some are on a 93 day trip, we’re on for 31 days, Auckland to Bali but many are getting off in Sydney & no doubt new passengers joining us. 

Yes, as I expected.  You likely have an older demographic because of the length of the segments.

With many cruise lines, time of year, itinerary, and length of cruise can often dictate the age demographic.

Hope you find enjoyment on Viking in spite of the situation.

• Like 1