Cruise pricing question.

No caribbean cruise for me this year after all :(

The military is moving us to England. I looked at cruises from England, and even the ones that didn't go so far were so much pricier.

Why is that? I can get on a cruise here in S.C. and pay around 400 some dollars per person to go to the caribbean, so why are the European ones so much more? I know most of them seem to be longer, but are there any cruises from England that are maybe just a week or less (but more than a night) that are less than 1000 dollars per person?

We've only been on one cruise and have been dying to get back ever since, but something always kills our plans.

I'm not sure I can totally provide an answer for you. One reason is that with the current low dollar to euro exchange rate you are going to pay more for everything in Europe. Also things generally, gasoline and everything else, cost more in Europe than in the USA. We had done a lot of research before both our European cruises and were ready for the higher prices. You mention the military is moving you so hopefully you will be able to buy your day to day supplies through the USO.

Hopefully you will find a cruise that you want to take and that is not too expensive.

Have a great next cruise.

Might it be that you will be buying them late in the booking cycle? Perhaps they're cheaper bought earlier?
+

Well I haven't bought anything, I've just done a bunch of random searches to get pricing ideas.

I've searched ones just three months in advance, up to say, a year in advance. Just getting ideas for when we are over there. We'll probably just take vacations on our own, but we're really wishing for another cruise!

You might want to check out the British based cruise lines rather than the US based ones like HAL, Princess, Celebrity, etc. I am talking about ones like "Fred Olson", Hebridean Island Cruises, Louis cruise line, etc.

Here is a link to a site listing a whole bunch of cruise lines that don't often show up on other internet cruise sites.

http://www.choosingcruising.co.uk/cruiseweb/Lines_CL.asp

Have a great next cruise.

I don't know, but I suspect it's just that Caribbean cruises are cheap in the States. Because they are so plentiful.

I think in Europe, you'll find that package land trips to Greece and Spain are the bargain items, I don't know of a cruise equivalent. But your best bet is the Mediterranean, I would think. Oh, and BTW, Fred Olsen is quite pricey I think.

Hi

You could try lines like thomson, Airtours or Ocean Village. They do the cheaper end of the cruises. Mostly Med but some Caribbean.

But we do seem to pay more, possibly because we normally have to include flights and they are expensive in the UK.

• 4 weeks later...

Why not book the cruise through your USA travel agent (by phone or Internet) if the price difference it that much.

You can book airline flights yourself through various websites, also 1st night hotel can be done by Internet.

Hi There,

You can get some very good rates from Princess its just hard work, I would expect you should get a 10 day cruise out of Southampton for $1000, but you will need to book very late, watch out for deals. Find an agent that will give you a good discount.

We find that going to the Caribbean is cheaper than Europe even with 18 hours in a plane to pay for.

I assume that ships fuel is paid for in US dollars and if bought in UK will be mega taxed compared to US prices.

Also landing charges in Europe I expect are higher, along with other running costs.

I see Princess has Caribbean for £1049 thats £400 less than Med.

yoursa Shogun

When you come over to England you will see lots of cruise deals (and Travel Agents) advertising in the newspapers at the weekends, especially in the Travel Sections. Some of these will offer some very good deals. As has already been said, there are many, many Cruise Companies which may be less known to you than in the States. I have seen MSC Med cruises on offer for £399 for a week and P & 0 Iberia for £499 . Canary Isle cruises usually come up as good deals, Greece & Turkey can be a little dearer. Remember that the Med is only 2 hours away when flying out to a cruise. You will find Mediterrranean Cruises for approx £500 for a week (cheapest cabins.) It's certainly possible that you could be cruising this year after all!!

Marge M

As I'm reading this I'm thinking that you just don't know how fortunate you are with your strong currency. Our 14 Baltic cruise is costing us $7000 EACH without spending money (but incl airfare). No, we're not staying in the Penthouse, our currency is just not that strong. I'm considering taking my son on a Caribean cruise combined with Disney World next year, but our airfare will be $2000 each with the result that our "cheap" vacation won't be that cheap afterall! I'm not complaining - unlike many other people I can affort expensive holidays, but I appreciate every moment. Be thankful for what your $$$'s can buy!

Archived