What is the different in Glaciers?

denims

7 minutes ago, denims said:

What is the difference between "cruising Glacier National Park" and "cruising Endicott and Dawes Glacier" Discovery goes to former, and Majestic goes to latter.

Thanks for your relies.

The amount of Glaciers is one difference I noted.  We prefer cruising Glacier Bay but both cruises are beautiful.   I am certain you will get more replies with varied opinions and more details.  

1 minute ago, Cruisintimer said:

The amount of Glaciers is one difference I noted.  We prefer cruising Glacier Bay but both cruises are beautiful.   I am certain you will get more replies with varied opinions and more details.  

thank you for your quick reply.  I also posted on the main board

• Like 1

3 hours ago, denims said:

What is the difference between "cruising Glacier National Park" and "cruising Endicott and Dawes Glacier" Discovery goes to former, and Majestic goes to latter.

Thanks for your relies.

Our favorite is Glacier Bay. 

If you're gonna go once, go to Glacier Bay.

Endicott Arm is beautiful and the viewing of Dawes Glacier is sublime, but the Glacier Bay itinerary brings you to 3 glaciers. Glacier Bay lacks the fjord cruising that Endicott Arm (or Tracy Arm) brings.

But Endicott is not without its magic. Here are some shots of Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier from this past September:

image.thumb.png.c32d50dad3e7fcadbda4398dfdd32ebe.png

image.thumb.png.0c2c13fc131b7d2a50555ab16a3c7739.png

image.thumb.png.53f9c9fdcea787a2377f86556f6bc69c.png

image.thumb.png.9bede62b6439321834b4a4f59a146ed6.png

image.thumb.png.ab65149680fb2c3880e43675dcb2b5dc.png

image.thumb.png.eeea0c0351976607d6bd2a896c68d123.png

the big difference for Endicott/Dawes is that it has a sharp, narrow turn to get to the Glacier, and if there's significant ice in the turn, the captain won't go there, so you'll only get a distant view of the rather small glacier, unless you pay for a boat excursion that leaves from the ship. In summer of 2022 I went on 3 cruises to Dawe's, and Discovery didn't get close, nor did Carnival, but Celebrity Solstice did. Glacier Bay doesn't have that problem, because you end up in a bay at the end and ships can get closer to the glacier that calves and is more attractive. Unfortunately, most of the other glaciers in Glacier Bay are receding, so not very impressive. The most impressive glacier is Hubbard, which is immense and actually growing, and when you see the calving it sounds like a cannon going off. 

• Like 2