Cucina del Capitano

maxydu

Tried to find the answer to this by searching but wasn't able to make determination......

Will be cruising on the Magic on January 13, 2024. Have yet to return to cruising since the Covid days. The specialty dining menu indicates that 

Cucina del Capitano, (the Italian Restaurant) is open for dinner for a fee. Back in the days, those ships with this restaurant were available to dine

in for lunch for free, although a different menu. Is this still available, or dinner for fee only? 

16 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Thank you, good to know.  We're cruising on the Magic in May.  Now I won't be surprised when they charge us.🙂

Never personally been on an Excel. It's $18pp on all other ships. Well worth it.

Went to Cucina del Capitano on embarkation day on our Magic cruise and it was free for lunch.  It's a different menu than for dinner.  At lunch it is basically a build your own pasta dish. You are given a sheet of paper where you select your pasta shape, protein, different add-ins, and type of sauce.  We thought it was very tasty! We also went there for dinner one night ($18/person upcharge) and thoroughly enjoyed out meal.

5 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

And Embarkation, and usually dead! My go to spot

I always forget about embarkation day.  maybe as I am headed to guys smokehouse too often on that day as it is also usually pretty quiet

• Like 1

At lunch time, they call it a pasta bar.  Options include a pretty good lasagna and chicken parmesan.

I am not normally on the ship for lunch on port days, but a look at some of the posted Fun Times shows it is open on port and sea days.

This is the Magic, but probably the same for all non-Excel class ships that have the Cucina del Capitano.  I just don't know the situation on the Excels and the ships with different Italian restaurants.

On 11/1/2023 at 11:03 AM, Woody14 said:

the lunch for free is usually only on sea days.

Hmm, nope. 

OP, check your Hub app each day -- the "Captain's Pasta Bar" (Cucina at lunchtime) has generally been open every day in my experience, but it could vary by ship and staffing level.  

On 11/1/2023 at 2:21 PM, Top_of_the_Cube said:

I am not normally on the ship for lunch on port days, but a look at some of the posted Fun Times shows it is open on port and sea days.

This is the Magic, but probably the same for all non-Excel class ships that have the Cucina del Capitano.  I just don't know the situation on the Excels and the ships with different Italian restaurants.

It's very similar on the Excel-class ships for lunch, except that we were heartbroken to find that, at least on the Mardi Gras in 2021, the Cucina was NOT open for lunch on embark day; I don't think Chibang! was either.    😞  

• Like 1