HAL Military On Board Credit only valid for one cruise.

sseibert3

We received our Military On Board Credit for our first HAL cruise last July to Alaska.  I tried to again use it for our next cruise but was told it could not be applied because it was already used. 

So,  I guess it can only be applied to one cruise per year or for life?

Thoughts?

Scott

We have a deeply discounted cruise coming up in 3 weeks, checked with our TA about my hubby's military credit & was told it wasn't allowed on the promotion we are booked under.  But she also said to show our "sheer ID" proof at guest services once on board.  It is worth a try, but doubt it will be honored.

51 minutes ago, sseibert3 said:

We received our Military On Board Credit for our first HAL cruise last July to Alaska.  I tried to again use it for our next cruise but was told it could not be applied because it was already used. 

So,  I guess it can only be applied to one cruise per year or for life?

Thoughts?

Scott

=====

That is wrong according to my HAL Personal Cruise Consultant.

Harry is retired military and a someone doing a booking for us at HAL told me it was one time use as well.

Found out friends continue to get the credit so we spoke to PCC. We now get military OBC on every cruise.

I do not know how discounted cruise will determine credit.

Peter

Edited by SFO Peter

If you log into your HAL account and select profile, you can scroll down and it tells you you have $100 credit. It also tells you when you need to renew it. The verification is only good for one year. The military should be automatic when you book another cruise.

• Like 1

Thank you Trapper44 for your comment.  I will take a look.

I spent 2+ hours this morning on 2 separate phone calls.  The first call lasted about 30 mins and I was disconnected.  I did not get a call back when I was disconnected.  The second call lasted 1 1/2 hours.  I now have OBCs for Military Service and AARP for both of our booked cruises.  

I am quite disappointed with HAL as a whole and was inclined to cancel both bookings. 

Our PCC made a number of errors for our Sept. 2024 cruise that was booked in October of this year.  These problems/errors accounted for most of the time spent on the phone and was fixed by a Supervisor.  

I find it difficult to do business with this company.  Web site is terrible, PCC are not accurate and often do not return calls or emails.  

Scott 

27 minutes ago, sseibert3 said:

I find it difficult to do business with this company.  Web site is terrible, PCC are not accurate and often do not return calls or emails.  

Scott 

I wish I could provide you my PCC. She's a gem.

We have 6 "B2backs" (53 days) coming up and luckily got our same beautiful fully accessible balcony cabin that we had last year. On every segment we got our Military OBC. $600! We also snagged some specials and have an additional $450. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sseibert3 said:

I totally agree. Web site is phenomenally bad. I have never resolved issue on phone.  Once or twice multiple emails worked but should have only needed one.   But I do like the on-board experience.   After almost always booking on our own, we now use an outside travel agent.  Maybe that would work for you?

Thanks all - 

At the end of the day....

We have received the OBCs for my Service and also AARP.

It is a shame that these OBCs are so confusing/difficult to receive. 

I did not mean to sidetrack this discussion.

Scott

• Like 1

You might contact HAL direct and ask that your Service OBC be applied to your Bookings.  If declined, you might consider escalating to a Supervisor.  I would guess that your Service should be considered at the time you Booked the cruise and should be part of your Profile so it can be applied to all future Bookings.  Upon saying that, I have no idea if the HAL Profile has the ability to capture this important information.

As noted above, our PCC made numerous errors when we Booked our September 2024 cruise.  Perhaps that is why our HAL Supervisor made sure both of our Bookings had current OBCs applied, both AARP and Military Service.

Good luck.

Scott

I can't understand why they can't be like Princess. When we  book, and it's always on line, the military OBC shows up automatically. We don't have to do anything. Princess remembers. On Celebrity, it just asks if we are military when booking, and it adds the military discount, not OBC, but you see it on the booking conformation. HAL is way out on this.

My perception of HAL is diminishing.

I will certainly be looking at other cruise lines in the future.

If they have problems with the easy stuff how can they be expected to handle the difficult?

This OBC thing should not be that hard.

I have 2 Booked cruises.  I hope they go well.  

Scott

Tried to book OBC for Nov 15th cruise, as both my wife and I are both Ex Military. 

Told by Travel Agent not available as discounted to maximum already. 

Then contacted HAL UK direct, They said OBC only available for USA Veterans! 
A bit shocked, as received the benefit on both Princess and P&O previously. Both part of Carnival group of companies.  

Maybe this is their way of saving some dollars?

Disappointing though.  I always thought a Veteran is a Veteran, wherever in the world they served.