Just back!! Our VIKING LOFN-omenal "Passage to Eastern Europe" Cruise. 10/23 to11/2/2023 - Full trip report with tons of pix!

Sleep7

3 hours ago, bobs1016 said:

Thanks for the information. Now to answer your question, For my wife and myself, it was not rough. However, we did have seas that were rough for most as they got to 25 feet. The cruise started in London (an hour east). The ship was late arriving due to a storm but eventually arrived. Viking gave us 2 full days in London at a 5 star hotel. However, once we crossed the North Sea and arrived in London, seas were calm. So, it all depends on the weather. As far as our 2 days in London, we did the Wheel, walked around a lot and did a theatre show, where we saw Hamilton. Someone must have turned their seats in as we got 10th row center for an excellent production. Viking also gave us 500 dollars for a future cruise to make up for our lost days on the cruise. Otherwise, the Northern Lights were nice to see, but they were grey to the naked eye due to the cones and rods in our eyes. Our camera picked up on the full green color. 

On the tour and through the ship we did a Dogsled ride and also a Reindeer Sled ride with a nice taste of Reindeer stew (not the ones that pulled the sled). We also did an 2 land excursions at night (yes there was some sunlight for a couple hours). One land excursion was to a small mtn top for better viewing. However, the weather was cloudy with light snow so that was somewhat wasted time. The other was much farther north and we went well inland, which was close to Finland in the woods. There it was clear and crisp with great viewing. We also saw the Aurora from the ship, three times. When the Aurora was visible, announcements were made. Once we were in bed, we got up and saw the best viewing on the tour as we left port to head south and go home from Oslo.

I hope all your tours have good weather and touring as well.

If you like, I can send you pictures.

Bob

`PS...I forgot to add, temperatures were not that cold in Norway. Daytime temperatures were basically 30s on the coast and ship and 20s at night. Only a bit colder than here NJ.

I made a mistake above, it should read once we crossed the north sea and arrived in Norway.

[fixed – Host Jazzbeau]

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bobs1016 said:

Thanks for the information. Now to answer your question, For my wife and myself, it was not rough. However, we did have seas that were rough for most as they got to 25 feet. The cruise started in London (an hour east). The ship was late arriving due to a storm but eventually arrived. Viking gave us 2 full days in London at a 5 star hotel. However, once we crossed the North Sea and arrived in Norway, seas were calm. So, it all depends on the weather. As far as our 2 days in London, we did the Wheel, walked around a lot and did a theatre show, where we saw Hamilton. Someone must have turned their seats in as we got 10th row center for an excellent production. Viking also gave us 500 dollars for a future cruise to make up for our lost days on the cruise. Otherwise, the Northern Lights were nice to see, but they were grey to the naked eye due to the cones and rods in our eyes. Our camera picked up on the full green color. 

On the tour and through the ship we did a Dogsled ride and also a Reindeer Sled ride with a nice taste of Reindeer stew (not the ones that pulled the sled). We also did an 2 land excursions at night (yes there was some sunlight for a couple hours). One land excursion was to a small mtn top for better viewing. However, the weather was cloudy with light snow so that was somewhat wasted time. The other was much farther north and we went well inland, which was close to Finland in the woods. There it was clear and crisp with great viewing. We also saw the Aurora from the ship, three times. When the Aurora was visible, announcements were made. Once we were in bed, we got up and saw the best viewing on the tour as we left port to head south and go home from Oslo.

I hope all your tours have good weather and touring as well.

If you like, I can send you pictures.

Bob

`PS...I forgot to add, temperatures were not that cold in Norway. Daytime temperatures were basically 30s on the coast and ship and 20s at night. Only a bit colder than here NJ.

Hi Bob!

Your Northern Lights cruise does sound amazing and those 2 extra days in London actually ended up being a plus!

I laughed at your reindeer stew.. but not the ones that pulled the sleigh.

I will add this cruise onto my long list of cruises to take.  Since we are mostly restricted to a week to 10 days at a time due to DH working we usually do the same old same old 7 day Med cruises but happily so.  There is a lovely familiarity to going to ports you have been to before.

We are sailing soon on exactly that itinerary.  I plan to write a thread with lots of pix just like this one.  Thanks for telling me about your cruise.. I really enjoyed your description.

Have a great day and happy sailing!