Lobster Tails?

LadyLuck

On my recent Zuiderdam cruise, lobster was only served as Surf & Turf. I get the concept--I'm sure a lot of people would order two dinners when lobster and tenderloin were on the same menu. Surf & Turf gives you both, but a smaller portion of each than you get with a complete meal. But there were several at my table who had bigger appetites. When they ordered their meals, they asked the waiter if they could have extra lobster tails. He told them if they still wanted them after they finished their meal, he would bring more. However, he never appeared to ask if anyone did want to order more. It took quite some time for him to show up after we finished our entrees. As we were at the early dinner seating, by the time he showed up there was time for more lobster OR dessert, not both.

Slipper lobster are similar to langostino. We have them in California and the Pacific coast of Mexico where they are called spiney lobster. They taste similar to, but are not the same as a true lobster such as they have in Maine. Notice that in the picture above that the slipper lobster has no claws, and yes, they are closely related to crayfish (crawdads). Some types of langostino have small claws, but again are not Maine type lobster and are not true lobster. This is what you will get in Mexico, esp. in Baja if you go to Nuevo Puerto (on the drive from Tijuana to Ensenada) for "lobster" and beer (yummy!). Notice they have no claws:

http://www.nbb.cornell.edu/neurobio/harris-warrick/lab/panulirus/Lobster7.jpg

Rubio's (a fast food chain based in San Diego) just lost a big lawsuit by someone who sued them for selling "lobster" burritos that were in fact langostino. I ate them and thought they were yummy! Just waiting for the cruise industry to read this judgement and change what is listed on their menus too!

http://www.restaurantnewsresource.com/article17304.html

Most interesting.

I prefer photos of lobsters that look like this:

lobster1.jpg

Again, those are lobster tails (slipper lobster), not lobster. My sister and bro-in-law have a summer camp (ie, cabin) in Maine and their next door neighbor is a lobsterman. My bro-in-law helps him haul his traps and gets real lobster in exchange.

REAL lobster looks like this:

lobster-dinner.jpg

Again, those are lobster tails (slipper lobster), not lobster. My sister and bro-in-law have a summer camp (ie, cabin) in Maine and their next door neighbor is a lobsterman. My bro-in-law helps him haul his traps and gets real lobster in exchange.

LOL ... this reminds me of the scandalous claim of some literary scholars that Homer's Iliad was not written by Homer but by another man with the same name.

The tails I pictured are not cat tails, they're not rat tails, they're not pig tails, and they're not puppy dog tails ... they're lobster tails. That they're not a whole lobster is immaterial to the fact that they still taste delicious and I would rather be eating them than a hamburger from McDonalds any day of the week. And, might I add, they usually serve lobster tails on a Formal night ... and it's mighty hard to eat a big messy WHOLE lobster when dressed in tux.

Oh ... and I still prefer them on a plate, cooked, not crawling around on the bottom of the ocean or in a great big tank... be it a whole lobster or just their tails. You might notice ... I had 4 on mine. :D Those who whine and complain about their small size and dane to make a big issue of it ... just order 2 ... or 3 ... or 4.

Read all of above. They are NOT lobster, even if they call them "lobster" tails. Sort of like passing lumpfish off as cavier....

Ask to see one of the claws they removed. They won't be able to do that, since they don't have any claws (langostino don't have claws)....and they are frozen to boot.

The OP stated:

Someone told me that on HAL, they usually serve smaller twin lobster tails for one of the formal nights. If, say, I would like to have a second serving (4 lobster tails total), can I ask for just the lobster tails or do they bring out a second entree with all the sides? Just wondering.............DH is thinking about this too........is it unacceptable to order just the lobster tails without the sides (e.g. potatoes).

What are some of your experiences with lobster tails on HAL?

My response to the OP was to answer their question by posting a photo of what I received when I asked for "seconds" on the original plate:

lobster1.jpg

Someone immediately jumped on my back about how these were not really lobsters. AAHAAAHAAHAHAHAAA! Someone call the "true" lobster police! ;) The fake lobsters from the planet mongo have invaded!

I don't CARE.

They're still yummy, I still answered the OP's question, ON TOPIC, and showed a photo that made my mouth water at the memory of how delicious they were. REAL lobster or NOT.

I'm WAY past my bed time ... and now I'm hungry for pseudo-lobster tail. :D

Rev. Neal,

Lobster is my favorite and your pic is so delectable to look at,,,how about sharing one please...just a little warm butter and I would be fairly close to heaven!

L

Rev. Neal,

Lobster is my favorite and your pic is so delectable to look at,,,how about sharing one please...just a little warm butter and I would be fairly close to heaven!

L

Sure thing, L, I'll share! Have a plate of "pseudo-lobster" tails on me! :D;)

lobster1.jpg

ummmm - ummmm good ...

REAL lobster looks like this:

lobster-dinner.jpg

Actually, your argument seems a little elitist to me. To me it sounds like someone claiming that if a steak does not come from a limousin breed cow (or Angus or Kobe breed cows) then it is not a steak, or if a cow is not corn-fed that it isn't a real steak; though most of us can dine quite happily on the steaks of a lesser or mixed breed and non-corn fed cow.

While I will agree that dining on a fresh New England lobster is the ideal, just because others aren't quite as good does not mean they are not lobster or cannot make a satisfying meal.

Poor anley! Not only was your lifeboat drill experience different than mine, but dining, too! Same cruise and everything. It's too bad you didn't have my table steward.

When I went to order two "turfs" and no "surfs" my steward thought I was going to ask for the latter and said that would be fine. He did manage what I wanted quite satisfactorily.,

I wanted fat-free honey mustard salad dressing every night. Again---no problem. He made a supply for me.

Most nights I asked for meat from one choice, potato from another, and vegetable from a third. Got it.

It does go to show how much the experienced, well-trained steward can do to make or break dining. My steward has been around for years, and is a real asset to HAL.

I never said that what you are given on a cruise is not good. I like it too, and also order extra. It just is not lobster....

Give it up! It may not be a American or Main Lobster but you are wrong about it not being a Lobster: Ask any Marine Biologist what the definition of Lobster is:

lob-ster (lobstr)

n. 1. Any of several edible marine crustaceans of the family Homaridae, especially of the genus Homarus, having stalked eyes, long antennae, and five pairs of legs, the first pair of which is modified into large pincers. 2. Any of several crustaceans, such as the spiny lobster, that are related to the lobsters. 3. The flesh of a lobster used as food.

I also agree with the poster who said that you are expressing an elitist attitude..

Archived