Apple iMessage

highloyo

On a recent 7 day cruise aboard the Discovery, up and down the California coast I didn’t buy the internet package since it was only 2 sea days and I would have internet in SF, SD and Ensenada. I was under the impression that iMessage would work on MedallionNet without internet. I thought I experienced this before but unsure if it was on the 5 PCL and RCCL cruises I’ve taken in the last 2.5 years. I inquired at the IT desk and was told it’s not possible without internet. The tall, RUDE internet lady could only offer to sign me up for internet, that’s it, ie. to stop wasting her time. It wasn’t that critical to me but curious if you actually need full internet to iMessage. What I’ve read on this forum seems mixed. 
BTW, the chat feature on MedallionNet is worthless without a notification feature.

Edited by highloyo
Added text
  • Like 1

I travel with a group of people who use iPhones exclusively...they have always been able to message between themselves while on board. I, on the other hand, just recently switched to Google Messages on my android. Until then, I was never able to participate in their communications. 

Cruise personnel don't know, and wouldn't tell you if she did, since her job is to get you to sign up for internet, just as the cruise excursion desk isn't going to tell you how to find local tours or free things to do. The way to find out is to turn on iMessage and try it. If it doesn't work, pay or wait for a port. I found out I had it on an NCL ship, and it's definitely nice, because ship messaging apps are awful for talking to others on board, and some lines make you pay for it. The other thing to realize is that you can sign up for individual days or remainder of cruise internet, which is what I do when going to Mexico usually--I simply buy remainder of voyage on the final two sea days.